Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
What size/type of fuse does it take, and is it power cord socket?

Mribob, It's a 15 Amp slow-blo. It's a miniature fuse holder that requires a screw drive to open and close. Mine was loose so the cover spins when taking it off or on. I replaced it with a high quality Bussmann panel fuse holder but accidently bought a larger size. I'm very meticulous so no idea how it happened ... When Hegel tech returned the amp, I thought he installed a different fuse holder so ask and it was mine.

Sometimes things have ways of working out ... turns of SR RED offers a large size 15A Slo-blo but not smaller size.

The $64K question - are no fuses better than Black fuses?

Yes, Reason ARC and CAT use resistors and NOT fuse to protect power tube failures. People always criticizing ARC and CAT but especially ARC so maybe now they understand.
The SR Blacks have been in the CDP and pre since Saturday, with a total of maybe 30 hours use on them (the CDP is left on all the time while the pre is not), so semi-broken-in at this point.

I'm waiting for the last bit of stridency in the upper mids to chill out, but other than that I'm a very happy camper and they are doing for my system pretty much everything oregonpapa says they do for his.    

From some of the comments I am happy for all of your success with the SR Black fuses. The RED did not work for me and thus it was sold.....this was based on the VAC preamp. I will have to see what the new owner has to say when it arrives for him.

I now have the AM Beeswax fuse in the VAC preamp. and it is by far the best I have heard but I have only heard the SR RED, HIFI Tuning Supreme, Isoclean, and stock. I now have right at 125 hours on the fuse and it is wonderful in tonality and soundstage....actually it seems magic as it gets everything just right with that piece of gear. Overall I would agree that the fuse sounds organic but still very natural. Human voice and instruments just sound very right and they have weight. I am told that it can and does get better out to settling at 300 hours. I will find out as my VAC is on 24/7.

For me I will be ordering more with one piece of gear at a time. The caveat is that there is no trial period to try before you buy. These are hand made for the values ordered and involve some labor intensity to apply the beeswax into the fuse. As with anything YMMV but for me I am just proceeding one step at a time. PS: If considering I would recommend buying direct to save from the retail. Best to all of you.

Hi gwalt,
I suspected that the Beeswax fuse is an exceptional product and it's good to know that they're a fine fit in your system. I believe both it and the Black fuses will be genuine assets in virtually any good audio system. 
Please keep us posted as you  progress further with your fuses. 
Charles,