Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

When I read your post about butchering 'standards', I just happen to be listening to Masekela's CD 'Uptownship'.  I love the guy, but, he should have left, 'If you don't know me by now' and 'ooo, baby, baby' to Melvin and the Blue Notes  and Smokey Robinson.

Cheers
 Was watching a military documentary a few nights ago.  It was about the 900+ day siege of Leiningrad.  It said that shostakovich was there, and wrote his 7th symphony  "Leningrad", during the siege.   Turns out that is in dispute, but, I found this while searching for a well reviewed performance of his 7th.

Clear the floor and git dem dancing shoes on!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMSvXETRhqI

And they say you can't combine Jazz with classical.

Cheers

It's not polite to step on peoples toes when they just git back; I'll have to at least wait a little while; in regard to messing up standards.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, I heard the classical, but I'm still waiting on the "jazz". As far as "dem dancing shoes"; I looked through my encyclopedia of dance steps, but I couldn't find anything to fit that music. I think that maybe the "Futterwacken" might be appropriate, but I don't know for sure, I think I'll ask Alice.
Been reading through this thread.  A whole lotta passion goin' on.  My first vinyl jazz purchase was the Buddy Rich "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" recording back when I was in Junior College.  Nixon was president.  My first system was a Heath AJ14 FM tuner, a Dyna SCA-35 tube integrated amp, a Garrard Type A turntable with a Shure M3D cartridge and a pair of KLH Model 32 loudspeakers.

I've upgraded since...   My rig is up as a virtual system here if you want to look it up.

I've got more Jazz Messenger albums than I care to think about.  Dig the West Coast stuff as well as the hard bop and post bop.  My 10" Miles LP with "Godchild" still swings.

But I'd like to get y'all hip to a few names I haven't seen here.  The first is Catherine Russell, a vocalist I first heard interviewed by Terry Gross on the NPR Fresh Air program.  Her father was Luis Russell, who was the musical director and pianist for Louis Armstrong.  Her mother was Carline Ray, who played with the International Sweethearts of Rhythm.  So she's got some pedigree.  She spent a lot of years doing backup work on Motown stuff, but finally got started with a solo career a few years ago, much of it harkening back to the music of her family's era.  She gets the best sidemen out of New York and really brings to life old standards like "Darktown Strutter's Ball", "Struttin' With Some BBQ", and "I'm Checkin' Out, Goombye!"  Listen to this youtube of her doing "Whatcha Gonna Do When There Ain't No Swing?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LR2WVH-sIA

Another voice I discovered a few years ago is a Brazillian jazz singer named Gal Costa.  Check this track out.  Delicious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVb1nHBnlZY

The last vocalist I want to present is something of a celebrity in the San Francisco area.  Her name is Wesla Whitfield.   She might tell you she's more of a cabaret singer than jazz, but she TELLS a story with what she does.  Unlike many, she's even better live, but catching her live will be difficult for many of you, so her recordings will have to do.  Check out this version of "Over the Rainbow".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcm7vUDfGgc

If you love good jazz and the heart and love therein, you'll fall in love with at least one if not all of these wonderful voices.