Vinyl noob needs help with cartridge

I wanted to,dip into vinyl so I swung a deal on a super scoutmaster signature.  I am now trying to decide on a cart.  I am a vinyl newbie and have been trying to bone up on everything.  I was originally going to get an ortofon 2m black, but it's more than I really want to spend.  I considered the 2m bronze, the sound smith otello (or the modded version from mapleshade), and the zu audio modded denon103.  Anyone have an opinion on those choices?  Is the 2m black worth the extra? Any others closer to 500.00 that are of honorable mention?  
2out2sea
Mofimadness

can you elaborate on the virtues of the various carts specifically the zu and audio technica?  Thanks
Zu/DL103 is just a stock low compliance Denon DL103 or selected Denon DL103R with replaced stock plastic body. It's still Denon sound. Maybe it's fine for the fans of low compliance Ortofon SPU monsters. It's strange to see Audio Technica OC9/III next to it as it's totally opposite and more detailed sounding cartridge (higher compliance).  
Well I found http://paradoxpulse.com today and they had two dl103 left from a batch.  359.00 shipped was worth trying.  Feel free to flame away.  I have no experience so based on research and some recommendations I went the denon route.  I will report back what I hear.  This cart comes modified and burned in for either 50 or 100 hrs I can't remember which.  I am hoping it is a good sound.  If not then I will be glad to try other recommendations.
+1 Swamp. Given that you are just starting out and own an AI pre (which one?) stick to a MM cartridge. Many choices out there. 
I have a modulus 2d, but am going with a ckearaudio nano for this journey.  I need something tiny as rack space is at a premium.