Dick's / Dave's picks

Anyone else into this series of Grateful Dead recordings?
If so, please list your fave (s) or collection.
jafant
@jriggy That Venetta "Sunshine Daydream" DVD/CD set is really a remarkable time capsule. I have listened to the CD several times, and watched the DVD twice since I got it in 2015. 

I also completely dig "The Other One" box set. woof! woof! woof!
Grate thread! Nice to see so many "friends" here on Audiogon. :)  

I, too, prefer the shows from 71-80.  I don't think you can wrong with any Dick's/Dave's from that era. I'm not much of fan of anything the band did with Brent- unfortunately those were the only shows I got to see. (Until he passed) 

I am definitely an audiophile, but not necessarily when it comes to listening to the Dead. I love Reckoning and own some shows on vinyl but I really love "listening" to the studio albums. They really were/ are special and, in my opinion, under appreciated. 

Like many of us, I fell in love with Dead listening to ratty many-Gen cassette tapes- so fidelity isn't of primary importance to me. There is an app (iphone maybe android?) called Relisten. It has every show- often times multiple copies of each show available to stream. It's almost overwhelming. I use it all the time. The best part is, it's free! 

FWIW, I also "highly" recommend a band called Forgotten Space to anyone inclined to wanting to experience a great interpretation of the band from the 70's era live. They are based in Dallas but do tours through the central states often. As a matter of fact they will be St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee maybe Indy this month. Forgottenspace.net or on Facebook. 
vicweast,

What a neat way to listen and learn the evolution of a song through the years!
I will usually listen to the newest release, then listen to the shows before and after it --kinda like 'doing a run of shows' in my own living/system room (; 
Or, for more casual listening, I will ask my wife to name a song or a year or both, then I'll hunt us something from there. That method is great for the Relisten app to the bluetooth speakers in the kitchen.

Its the weekend, lets all put on some Dead! 

@vicweast The 5/25/77 The Mosque Richmond VA was released as Dave's Pick # 1.
That May 1977 period is hard to find on a CD that isn't a bootleg. The Cornell show, the Boston show before it and the Buffalo show after are being slighted in my opinion. I wish Dave would find a way to release these on Rhino.