Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I have to keep telling myself that my God has a plan.  There is a purpose to all  of this.  I have faith.

1.  Look up the meaning of 'Authentic'.   Does not speak to good or bad.   Does speak to the 'real' deal.

2.  Human beings would not be able to converse if they were not allowed to use "generalities".   Demanding minute exact details is a good tactic to score points in a discussion, but it's evasive and bogus.

3. Look up Woody, and then look up PP&M.   Woody is Authentic.  Whether you like him or not,  is not the point.  'Resonate' sounds good but has nothing to do with the question.

Cheers
jafant and alexatpos, since you are both such nice guys I’ll make one last post.

A guy in Podunk, Maine listed a Cary-AES A-25 MK II amp for $800 bucks, I bought it .
When I received it it was not that but a decade older and 50% less powerful plain A-25 .
I emailed A’gon support with the facts, no reply , then left the hustler with
negative feedback, That got immediate reply from A’gon in the form of their automated "Dispute" form . As soon as i wrote the facts and sent it
all it did was to remove the crooks negative . In short the people who run this site are a bit bent to say the least .Same thing happened last month
with an IC that seller said I should have asked him if it was not RCA but XLR .
Just getting on here makes me feel like I’m entering a sleezy whorehouse so I'll "just walk on bye "  .
God Bless
Rok, that you invoke "your God" speaks volumes about your sense of grandiosity.  I said it early on in the thread, what is missing in many of these discussions is a bit of humility; humility that acknowledges the fact that there is much to learn.  One of the things that I find particularly humorous is that you would think that I am demanding minute details; and, along the same lines, O-10's comment a while back: "if you want to learn everything there is to learn about music get an encyclopedia".  Both humorous because, not only are these "minute details" that I am supposedly demanding, in fact, very general and not the least bit comprehensive, but the notion that an encyclopedia (any encyclopedia) contains anything but a fraction of just how much there is to learn about music is silly.  Re "authenticity" and "good/bad", the fact is that you and I are saying very similar things.  

O-10, I have misinterpreted nothing about what you wrote.  I suggest that a big part of the problem is that there simply is not enough clarity in what you sometimes write and it might be good if you step back and consider what you wrote before clicking on the "Post" tab.  Example: first you refer to these Juilliard musicians as "playing only cliches" and not possessing "soul".  Then later you state that they are "good jazz players, just not great players".  Which is it?  A jazz player who plays only cliches and has no soul cannot be a good jazz player by any standard; and obviously not a great one.

Would still like to know what it was about "The Peacocks" that you didn't like? Personally, I would much rather discuss music than the "politics" of it.  Oh yeah, who is it that brings "politics" to this? 😉

Regards.

I am not going to turn this thread into another "Thrilla in Manilla", or "The Brawl of The Audiophiles". If anyone likes that sort of thing, I suggest they start another rap thread; or better yet, go to the projects in "Nawlins". If you don't want to look at what's "REAL in RAP", I suggest you by pass this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1A7oJfanOE

Now I'm returning to our regular programing. We have already covered the very best jazz musicians who ever lived, we have also covered the best "jazz albums"; now, with some help, I'm going to cover the lesser known artists; some who might have been as good as the best.

Alex brought this musician to my attention, they call him "South Side Soul", and there is a very good reason for that. I have often written about the "South Side" of Chicago when I was a teenager; It was a magnificent place in many parts. The Pershing lounge was in the small part I lived in with my cousin. This part contained every ethnicity under the Sun with food to match those ethnicities. I can still remember the Pizza; while I've eaten a lot of pizza from a lot of places since that time, I've never had any pizza that good since I left the South Side.

"South Side Soul" is Mr. John Wright's nick name; he earned it from making an album by the same name. He didn't have the skills of the top tier jazz musicians, but he produced an album that made you visualize a small part of Chicago; to me, that's magic, especially when this part of Chicago existed only for a small period of time. This is the only thing those people who lived there have to cling to, that verifies the fact that it ever existed; and they have a day every year to honor "South Side Soul", Mr. Wrights nick name.

I would like to, with your help, to continue this new direction into lesser known jazz musicians; however, if you have something by one of the "top tier" jazz musicians that you would like to bring to our attention, that's fine.

Enjoy the music.

***** We have already covered the very best jazz musicians who ever lived, we have also covered the best "jazz albums"; now, with some help, I'm going to cover the lesser known artists; some who might have been as good as the best. *****

We have not even talked about all the CDs that I own, let along the entire genre.

The lesser known, as The Frogman said,  are generally lesser known for a good reason.  Are you sure you are not confusing lesser known with local?

Cheers