Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Today's Listen:

Keith Jarrett -- THE KOLN CONCERT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKNQSSNNag8

I, along with the rest of the Jazz world went ga-ga over this when it came out.   listening today, does anyone know what all the fuss was about?

Cheers

Rok, since when did Frogman become the Bible; "Frogman said the lesser known are lesser known for a good reason". While that statement in it self is gospel truth, there is the inference that they are not as good. Alex presented a guy on trumpet that according to what I heard was as good as anybody I've ever heard. I never heard of the guy because he had a drug problem and had very, very little recorded. (I never use two "very's" in the same sentence, but this time it was called for). Maybe the guy didn't live long enough, that's another good reason. Maybe his best music wasn't even recorded. In all cases, there is a good reason why the lesser known are lesser known, but the fact that they are not as good, may not be one of them.

Alex, you've done a marvelous job of bringing lesser known players to my attention, please continue.

Enjoy the music.
The Gospel According to The Frogman?   King Frogman Version?

BTW, you and The Frogman have this bad habit of reading things that aren't there.  No one would argue with anything you said in your post.   Saint Frogman just said, there is usually a good reason they are lesser known.   You just listed a lot of them.   Most folks on here speak good English.   They are capable of saying exactly what they mean.

Cheers

Rok, the rest of the world must be classical musicians in jazz clothing. Why don't we ask an honest to goodness Classical musician, like Learsfool, what he thinks, and we will be able to ascertain with certainty, as to why they have gone "Ga Ga" over Keith Jarret.

I must admit he sounds better when I put on my smoking jacket and light a pipe.

(if only he would quit making those God-awful sounds)

Enjoy the music.
Maybe you were confused because The Frogman did post his 7 commandments.   I was glad  he stopped at Seven, because The Good Lord himself only posted 10

Cheers.