Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Well, a "signature" tune is simply a tune that an artist performs in almost every engagement and is readily identified with; nothing more, nothing less.  I am just as sure that Strayhorn (and Hodges) would be flattered that a great player like Getz would "appropriate" his composition; just as I am sure that Getz meant to disrespect to the supremacy (imo) of Hodges's performance.  All of our personal indignation is really pointless in this case.  See, Rok, as in the first time this came up, we do agree sometimes. I simply prefer to look at the glass as half full instead of half empty.

Frogman, I listened to what you posted 3 times, and I told you it was "dreary" and I didn't like it.

Whether Stan Getz made it a signature tune or not, I liked the one by "Duke Ellington" the best.

I do not study jazz, anyone who wants to "study" jazz can take a course at a college, or just read Frogman's posts.

Im not sure I get the relevance of your and Ohnwy61's opinions, but we're all entitled to one. I hope you will permit me to disagree.

Enjoy the music.

Leon Thomas and Count Basie go way back. Even before that, he was a high school heart throb. His bio is incomplete, because I remember something interrupting his stay with Basie, and he would have made some real money had he continued; I think he got drafted; but I'm not sure, but he didn't get fired.

I prefer the yodeling as to him singing like Joe Williams. Somehow I've got an album that's half and half, and I don't like the half with him just singing in the conventional manner. I think his originality was what set him apart from everyone else, and he should have stuck with it.

Rok, I'm going to avoid anything conventional by Leon Thomas.

Enjoy the music.