Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
Mapman 02-08-2016 1:48pm
These kinds of wild claims from high end companies really set off my BS meter.

Glad they sound and work well according to the users in any case.
+1 on both counts.

I for one would be much more inclined to try a tweak that is seemingly inexplicable, or one whose degree of efficacy seems inexplicable, if the manufacturer simply stated that they do not really know how it works, but that they have empirically found that it does. Rather than providing explanations that strike me as some combination of marketing-ese and techno-babble (to coin a couple of expressions).

BTW, for anyone who may be interested Wikipedia has what appears to be a good writeup on quantum tunneling. Also BTW, I see no mention in the writeup of ultra-high voltages, such as two million volts.

That said, I do respect and value the fairly overwhelming acclamations of these fuses that have been offered in this thread, especially taking into account the credibility many of the posters have clearly earned here over the years. And I wouldn't rule out the possibility that I may just try one. Although not before I get through the breakin and fine-tuning of tonearm adjustments for my recently acquired AT-ART9 phono cartridge, which I decided to go for based largely on acclamations provided by some of these same posters :-)

Regards,
-- Al

Mapman ...

You've been active in this thread almost from the beginning ... and you're still in doubt?? Even with a 30 day return policy?

You remind me of my brother Bob. He came for a two week visit from his home in Tennessee a couple of months ago. When he got here, he set his wallet down on my kitchen counter. Two moths flew out. :-)

What could be a better deal than a 30 day guarantee other than SR paying you to try the fuses? 

electroslaker ... 

I hear what you're saying. That's why I decided to open this thread. I took a $100 flier on my first SR RED fuse, fully expecting to be burned once again by the usual hype foisted upon us by charlatans preying on us hapless audio addicts. Most of us remember the Tice Clock and the green CD paint, right?  I was so amazed by that first SR RED fuse in the system that I just had to share the information with the folks here on A'Gon. At this point, it looks like everyone trying them hears what I, Charles, Richard, Wig, etc., are hearing ... with one exception ... and he didn't let the fuse break in long enough. 

What do you think? Is mapman a lost cause?  Maybe we should take up a collection. :-)

PS: Just kidding mapman. :-)
Al,

A sensible position to take, as usual.

Its a reasonable argument I think that a fuse that conducts better and is less susceptible to vibrations and resonances performs better and might even sound better in some cases as a result.

No two anything are ever created exactly equal.  Its more a matter of how different and how significant case by case.

As long as the fuse blows properly when it should, all one is out is $100 which is peanuts for a tweak in these parts.

BTW by far my best $100 tweak to date is use of isolating speaker stands and platforms in that price range in two of my 5 listening rooms where called for.   This has probably saved me thousands of dollars mucking around with more expensive gear to no end comparable.    Even my grandmother could hear similar differences in both cases.   Who knows what might happen with a really good or innovative  funky fuse.

Almag ...

The AT ART-9 is a wonderful cartridge in spite of the low cost (in high end terms). Very good choice. Its my last cartridge. I see no reason to spend anymore on a cartridge, and I've had the $3000 + ones in the system over the years.

To me, this is what A'gon is all about. We would never have known about the ART-9 without Pani directing us to it and sharing the information with us. 

As far as the two SR Black fuses in the CD player ... at this point, I believe they are fully broken in. I have a CD player that retailed for $10,000. It was sent back to ARC for the power supply upgrade when it was made available. A fine player, indeed. I used it mainly for convenience ... like when I read, or just didn't want to continually get up to change or clean a vinyl record. With the SR fuse upgrades, I can honestly say that I had NO IDEA just  how good Red Book CD's could sound. The turntable always won out for critical listening. Now, the CD player is not only on a par with my vinyl rig ... but in many ways it surpasses it. 

Take care ...
"You’ve been active in this thread almost from the beginning ... and you’re still in doubt?? Even with a 30 day return policy?"

A 30 day return policy would sem to take the risk out of it.

Thing is I spent a lot of time and effort to get just the sound that I have currently, so I am not interested in rocking the cart. When times comes to replace a fuse, I would consider these. Have not done the research yet to determine the best option and cost. I would want to be confident whatever product I buy will not damage my gear. I can assure all I will not knowingly  buy an inferior quality fuse.

What device has been found the better fuse makes the biggest difference?

Would need to see what fuses are in my current gear that could be replaced as well. I have amps, a pre-amp, an integrated amp and a DAC that might be candidates.