Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
The Frogman:

Thanks for the insight.  I discovered there is a different version of the same number by Porter.   Wes Anderson's solo is very different on this one.  Both are great.  Maybe they did multiple performances.

Cheers

Frogman, although we've gone at each other like two pit bulls at times, we're very fortunate to have you on this thread; your knowledge of music and musicians is invaluable. I say this for me personally, and I hope I speak for others on this thread.

Your last post indicated that musicians are longtime colleagues of yours. In regard to that, I'll tell you guys a story about an encounter I had with Grant Green. Since it's kind of personal, I've been reluctant to tell it, but it indicates the nature of musicians, and the love they have for musicians they've worked with. This bond is incredible; gangsters have this kind of bond. I hate to compare musicians to gangsters, but that's the only time I have witnessed so much love between two men.

In regard to Porter and the band, I couldn't have said it better.

In regard to Salvant, minus the band (but you are a musician) I reluctantly agree, but, this was Christmas time, and we're looking at it long after the season; during that time everyone is somewhat animated for the kiddies sake.

Enjoy the music.

Ok Alex, for you I will tell this story.

When I read that Grant Green was going to be in town, I bought tickets, and was really looking forward to seeing him.

During intermission he had someone tell me he wanted to speak to me. First of all I didn't recognize him; the Grant Green I remember had a head of thick black hair, and the build of a cowboy, he looked good in jeans. ( Alex, the mind is a funny thing, you expect people to look like they looked the last time you saw them up close and personal) I saw Grant Green up close and personal, from the time period I was from 16 to 20, this was before he became a professional.

We spoke, and he quickly got to the point of why he wanted to see me. He asked me about a very close musician friend of his. I told him the truth. He became livid with anger. The two ton bouncer came up to us wanting to know what was going on.  Grant walked off leaving me with a two ton bouncer, with a question mark on his face. (I got the feeling that the bouncer wanted to demonstrate why they hired him)

It wasn't until many years later that I was able to understand this. Musicians are crazy; they are unable to understand, or cope with their own emotions. After Grant left me he probably cried because he couldn't stand what I told him; but messengers in the past have been slain for telling the truth.

Next I'll tell about the musical Grant Green; he was fantastic from the day I laid eyes on him until the last time I saw him.

Enjoy the music.
Good story, O-10; and thanks for the kind words and for burying the hatchet.  Since it's too soon to dig it up again I'll overlook the "musicians are crazy" comment 😊 .......for now.  Regards.