Avalon

Hi
I am seeking a speaker cable recommendation here...

I am currently using Anti-Cables speaker cables, which is a minimalist braided solid-copper with spades deal. They sound "fine", but the question is can I make it sound better?

My living room setup consists of a pair of Avalon Acoustics "Eidolon" speakers, powered by a Rogue Cronus Magnum integrated tube amp. (Sources include: Cambridge Audio "Azur 851N" network player, Ayon Acoustics CD-07s (tube stage), and a Marantz TT-15S1 ...the poor cousin in the mix ;-) ...Power for this will soon come through a PS Audio "P3 Power Plant".

Interconnects are a combination of Homegrown Audio "Silver Lace" and Gabriel "Gold Reflection V2".

Are you the one other person out there who has Avalon Acoustics speakers powered by a Rogue Cronus amp? What is your speaker cable experience? Any chance you have used the Homegrown Audio silver speaker cables? ...are they worth the difference in price from anti-cables?
128x128vicweast
@reynolds853 Hi there. The spikes is a good point, as I deliberately have avoided them: I will try that now, thanks.
The Triton III integrated actually sounds far better than my post indicated. I think that my prior experience was not compatible with the tubes in question. In reading up on KT88s in triode mode, I think I am hearing something I was not ready for when I responded. I now like the bass!

I will continue to survey triode & pentode modes via a range of familiar music. This is a pretty major change for my listening experience. (Its not a hobby, eh ... more like an adventure.)
Vic,

I'm glad to hear that the amp is sounding better than even your post indicated!  I think getting the speakers off the floor will definitely help.  I agree too that it is indeed an adventure.

I occasionally switch over to pentode, say for some symphonic pieces, but for the music to which I listen to the most (jazz and small ensembles) I return to triode.  Remember though that unlike the Rogue amps the Triton cannot be switched between modes while it is turned on.  This is because it is a minimalist design and does not have the circuitry to permit that.

Feel free to email me as your journey with this amp continues, I'll be interested to hear how it is going.

Cheers,

John
Congrats on your Tritton III.  I have my Tritton III powering the Dynaudio C4 and get excellent results as well.
Thanks all for comments and your many interesting points ...which I have been working through as I can. Here is an update on where I am and what I am thinking as a tourist in these here parts...

I was not prepared to be so surprised by this amp. It has reset my understanding of reproduced music. It is one thing to hear a great setup somewhere else, but once you spend a few hours listening to gear you have the time to come to a much clearer understanding. There are two standouts in the past week or so. First, the detail and sound stage are clear and well defined beyond my previous personal experience. Second, I have (over about 2 days) gotten to understand that the bass really is there, it just wasn't coming out anywhere as well as with the Ayon and the KT88s ...which seem to be very friendly in the bass and lower mids.

I visited PS Audio in Boulder this past August 2015 and listened to Paul's Infinity IRS 5 speakers powered by PS Audio monos. Yes, it sounded great but my point is that you really get to understand a system by listening to it over time and tinkering with placement and components. My experience doing that with my previous systems did not prepare me for the leap I have just made. Its a big jump up from the Rogue (still love that amp, but...)