Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Ghosthouse, Grant Green died going on tour because he needed money, when his doctor told him not to go.

Grant spent much of 1978 in hospital and, against the advice of doctors, went back on the road to earn some money. While in New York to play an engagement at George Benson's Breezin' Lounge, Grant collapsed in his car of a heart attack in New York City on January 31, 1979. He was buried in Greenwood Cemetery in his hometown of St. Louis, Missouri, and was survived by six children. Since Green's demise, his reputation has grown and many compilations of both his earlier (post-bop/straight ahead and soul jazz) and later (funkier/dancefloor jazz) periods, exist.

They can say what they want to say about "Rappers" but they're taking care of business and making money.

I think your evaluation of Leon is "right on target". Now I'm going to pipe your link into the big rig, relax and listen.

Enjoy the music.

Many of the best jazz songs are like a short story. I've written a vignette for this song.  The name of the song is "invitation", and now the song becomes alive with your imagination.

There's a mid city lounge that feature strong drinks and good jazz; they run a reel plus a juke box, and jazz lovers like to come in to listen and unwind. Coincidentally, an attractive lady and a guy happen to be at opposite ends of the bar regularly. There's a long mirror on the wall behind the bar; not wanting to be obvious, they had been checking each other out in the mirror; but this time they got caught and discovered they were both checking each other out. They smiled at their reflections in the mirror.

He was just trying to recover from the end of a love affair and not to eager to start another. She had different ideas. They left separately without engaging in conversation, although she wished he would make a move; this is where the song begins.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyp1yvSBq5I[/url]

Enjoy the music.
YAW, Jafant - as ever, a pleasure to talk about the music.  

Hey Rok - when you get a chance, check this out.  Curious what you think of it (hoping it is new to you but pro'ly. not).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuCbQCnoIzI 

Ciao.
Orpheus - apologies but you will have to connect the dots for me on the why for the Grant Green bio.  Don't misinterpret my comments as being down on musicians getting paid and making money.  It's more a case of their priorities...doing what they love first and eventually getting paid or producing a contrived product calculated to "sell".  That's the best I can explain what makes m crazy about "the industry".  When you are inclined, let me know why you brought up Mr. Green.  Thanks.