Why is 2 Channel better than multi-channel?

I hear that the music fidelity of a multi-channel AV Receiver/Integrated amp can never match the sounds produced by a 2 channel system. Can someone clearly explain why this is so?

I'm planning to upgrade my HT system to try and achieve the best of both worlds, I currently have a 3 channel amp driving my SL, SR, C and a 2 channel amp driving my L and R.
I have a Denon 3801 acting as my pre. Is there any Pre/Proc out there that can merge both worlds with out breaking my bank? Looking for recommendations on what my next logical steps should be? Thanks in advance.
springowl
MdHoover,

Can we agree it was my third post that got your attention?

"I do NOT doubt that you are an expert on home theater and surround sound, and I also realize (fully) that I am NOT."

The key to your comment here is the latter part of your statement. I do not know much about "tube rolling" as I don't care for tube amplification all that much. Thus you will not see me engage anyone on the topic other than to ask a question. I've noticed your unabated enthusiasm over your IDS speakers, I never heard them so I cannot comment.

For Landok to jump in this thread I would expect that he has atleast tried several times to make a surround system musical. Instead he offers only a stream of nonsensical comments that no better describe multichannel sound than two channel sound.

Surround sound is not novelty sound anymore than two channel. And Noobs should do there homework and get something better than second-rate second-hand knowledge to debate with. It would be the respectful thing to do, don't you agree?
Yes, I agree that it's necessary to have first-hand experience with something prior to being able to debate it competently. However, I'm not in a position to assess with certainty whether or not any given Audiogon thread participant has such experience, unless I know that member personally, in which case we'd be unlikely to communicate in a public forum. In any case, since I myself lack such experience with multichannel sound, I should leave this discussion. I'll see you in a different thread.

One thing though, Dale Pitcher himself has told me that some people are using the Intuitive Design Summits for home theater, one person having relegated them to REAR CHANNEL duty (LOL!). I think that person has the $65,000 Denalis in the front. I've never heard those, so I can only speculate on how great they must be.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Cheers.
velocity,

The violin is a very musical instrument and it is not the same as the human voice enunciating words on the screen. If surround sound is all around us, as you claim then the point of owning a surround system becomes moot. Don't you agree?
Mdhoover,

7 IDS's with that Kimber crossover? would be quite good for a medium sized room. Imagine a soundfield that images the same way on everyside of the room, renderring the ambiance and image of far away concert right in your room!

I have designed many systems using speakers like your IDS's, imagine being completely emerssed In the IDS sound all 7 speakers acting as one, with all the dynamic range advantages of having 7 speakers and perfectly blended subwoofers versus just 2 speakers. I know it unfortunately costs more, but...

that example may just pull you a bit closer to what Eldartford and myself listen too. And help you imagine the minimum level of refinement I require to find a system competent.

Thanks for your thoughts too.
Landok,

"The violin is a very musical instrument and it is not the same as the human voice enunciating words on the screen."

...only in your mind, my speakers do both with no problem. Infact being able to do intelligable speech is a tough one for many highly regarded speakers. Not a good sign of good performance IMO.

"If surround sound is all around us, as you claim then the point of owning a surround system becomes moot."

I'd be interested in how you would arrive at that conclusion.

My original comment;

Fact is every moment of your everyday life is in surround why not play your music back that way?

This of course refers to the humans ability to discern sound 360 degrees naturally...and as some have mentioned above and below too. So I would say owning a surround system becomes essential not moot but i'd like to hear you input.

PS; my 7 channel music system doesn't have a screen.