Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Much more than what it started out as, however it's still digital at the core.
agear - if I can get 176 and 192 working reliably, I will launch the new XMOS module.. If not, it will be the Interchange using Ethernet.

The firmware/CPLD design is not mine, and I think there is an initialization bug.. the designer has dissappeared....

Steve N.

I had the opportunity to upgrade my Bricasti M1 to the new Special Edition version. This version is the is identical to the Limited Edition Gold version inside but has the original M1 exterior. You can read the particulars on the Bricasti website. The change involves stillpoints footer built into the feet, point to point wiring inside, more power supply changes and a few other items. Now the sound difference. I was small difference but am very pleased with what I'm hearing. First of all the dynamics are much more explosive and deeper more refined bass. I am noticing better decay and improved leading and trailing edge performance. Before the upgrade the M1 already outperformed the mighty Berkeley Reference in my system to my ears and now it wouldn't even be close. Brian and the Bricasti team are constantly looking for ways to improve the product and than they make the upgrades available at reasonable prices to all owners make this DAC one of the best on the market at any price.

Jeff

Thanks for sharing Jeff.  It's amazing to me how much better the DAC's at all levels are getting.  I'm starting to look at DAC's for my iPhone as I'm into portable a bit and I can tell you that even at the 500 on down level it's amazing at what is coming out.  

Based on the buzz with MQA, I really keep wondering how this will affect the high end DAC's that most of us discuss here on this thread.  I know that Steve has chimed in a bit and I thank you for doing that.  They say that the DAC will be the most important component for using MQA.

It's funny as I liked the Berkley when I first heard it, but it didn't blow me out of the water.  Same with the Trinity ref.  I really liked the DCS Rossini and the full stack when I've heard it/them, but I also think that there are a few DACs that are close or even better depending on the system they are used in.  The one take away from Jeff's post above is that he always says 'in my system to my ears'.  This is so true.  

the reason this thread keeps on giving is because there are plenty of folks who are giving an honest assessment and not just trumpeting their own purchase/DAC.  There are some in this thread who only champion what they own and most of use have figured that out already.  I think that right now I'd love to hear Steve's new DAC the OSDX, Bricasti (heard it once with a full Tidal system and LOVED it), EMM's newest upgrade, Lampy, DCS and not yet released or spoken about, but the eventually to be released the Ayre 5 series I'm assuming or a ref series as Ayre does digital extremely well (LOVE the Codex...just LOVE IT).  

It's really becoming a fun time for digital as it does have a ton of advantages over other mediums, but the drawbacks are being dealt with with new designers and better availability of components.  
Thanks all for sharing .
ketcham
65 posts
02-13-2016 12:13am
Given my personal experience, I believe the internal Ethernet to I2S will beat Ethernet to high grade server to ODSX by USB.

That was my bet.....