Neutral electronics are a farce...

Unless you're a rich recording engineer who record and listen to your own stuff on high end equipment, I doubt anyone can claim their stuff is neutral.  I get the feeling, if I were this guy, I'd be disappointed in the result. May be I'm wrong.
dracule1
I'm a musician & it isn't necessarily the case that the signature of a live event is the venue. It depends which venue & it is possible to determine the 'quality' of the backline within a particular venue which would therefore be the signature of the performance with consideration to multiple artists performing in that venue. 
atmosphere

^^ of course, there is the issue of what is meant by 'zero distortion'.
I think it narrows down to obviously having ultra low or no harmonic distortion but more importantly it has to have the absence of dynamic phase errors that fall far below harmonic distortion measurements.

Take for example ground loops and grounding in general.
If you cue up your cartridge with the volume up and listen for noise (hum buzz etc.) it it is dead quite, it does not mean that you do not have a problem with ground loops. The problem caused by some ground loops show up when the music is playing. This is where electromagnetic broadcasts such as current running through your speaker cables can be picked up by a low Z loop that includes your IC's.

The other problem is extremely low level hum (not audible) that is contaminating the phase angles of bass info between 60 to 120 hz.
It dynamically modulates the presented image like a shake table. As a result, the velocity of the sound waves is modulated and the total presentation is perceived as a smear or out of focus.

Amplifier errors in the area of phase distortion must be removed first..
Harmonic distortion only happens when the phase distortion is unchecked.
If you kill the phase errors you kill harmonic distortion.

That's zero distortion.

Roger
"^^ of course, there is the issue of what is meant by 'zero distortion'."

That's true and there is another related issue concerning whether "live" can actually be undistorted.  
geoffkait

Would you settle for whatever distortion you get in the concert hall during a live performance?

Its nothing but air which is a linear transfer medium.

If it did exactly the same thing in your home would you say "this is just like being there"? If not then some kind of distortion is happening at home and the alternative medium [electrical] transfer of sound waves does not match the purity of air.

It is a simple concept. Make the electronics act like air.
It requires that you match the velocity of air which is zero with no wind.
The sound waves velocity riding on top of a zero velocity (air)  results in a single un-modulated constant speed of Mach One (about 750 mph)
When that happens you will not be able to tell them apart.

If music is traveling toward you in the hall at 750 mph why would you not want it to hit you in your living room at 750 mph? That is your proof that it is live.

If it deviates even a little (747 mph - 753 mph)  it becomes a red flag to your brain and tells you it is not live.

This is no longer a theory.

Roger