Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Alex, you hit a home run in your quest for unrecognized talent.  I knew the name Eddie Costa, but I am almost embarrassed to say that I had not heard his playing.  Wow!  What an interesting player! That rendition of My Funny Valentine is possibly the most interesting one that I have ever heard.  But it was "Diane" that really knocked me out; those "stop time" breaks are fantastic.  I love the way that he uses the left hand and bottom of the keyboard for more than just accompaniment and extends the right hand melodies into the low registers.  Now, check this out: when I first listened to your clips one of my first thoughts was "this guy's chord voicings sound like Bill Evans; in fact, he sounds a lot like Bill Evans, but looser, less introspective and with a bit of humor".  Then I looked at the listed personnel and noticed that the drummer was Paul Motian who also played with Evans.  Then,  I looked at the other related clips that come up on the side of the screen and what do I see?  Bill Evans/Eddie Costa Quartet.  The guy was also a vibraphonist and had a quartet with Evans.  Interesting indeed.  Wonderful player on both intruments.  And I love the way he ends the tunes; very unexpected.  I must say that of all the "forgotten talent" posted this is one whose records I am buying.  Thank you!

Rok, I played it twice in order to focus on the sound of each instrument; I didn't know all of the reeds; different types of clarinets, oboes, and bassoons, or were some just black wood, and others metal.
Wind solos in order:

flute, clarinet, bassoon, E flat (sopranino) clarinet, oboe d'amore, trumpet (with flute), tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, trombone. 

Thank you Frogman, and Rok; now that I can see the instrument when it's being played, I know precisely what sound it makes, fortunately I like Bolero, because I'll be playing it over and over. I can pipe it into the big rig and check my speakers. Maybe this is my first lesson in "objectivity".

Enjoy the music.