Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, to be frank, what I am sick of is the arrogance in attempts by a very accomplished professional musician (Learsfool) to offer some insights into somehting that you admit to knowing little about being dismissed as "wack".

****but I might as well been looking and listening to Martians, musician talk is Greek to me.****

At best, it shows bad form, and to my way of thinking, any doubt about the validity of what Learsfool might be saying should have stopped at that realization.  However, I can understand  (I think) how someone who lives by the supremacy of "subjectivism" above all else, when faced with a seemingly contradictory experience might feel as you do.  First, however, I need to quote a great comment by Learsfool that is key and if understood could eliminate a lot of the bullshit that this thread gets stuck in sometimes:

****The only difference is the idiom, not the process****

The astute and open-minded will notice shades of another important truism.

"There are only two kinds of music; good and bad (the other kind"- Duke Ellington

O-10, you have been presented with several quotes by jazz greats which show that jazz musicians PRACTICE!!!.  Yet you dismiss the testimony of Bird, Louis and Coltrane just as you dismiss the testimony of Herbie Hancock and many others about the importance of KOB.  Hmmm, I'm starting to see a pattern 😉 .  Moreover, you place a tremendous amount of stock on your experience living with a jazz musician who didn't practice for a summer and assume that this is indicative of how all jazz musicians view "the process".  

The process:

Your friend didn't practice for a summer.  So what?  Every musician goes through periods when, for whatever reason, they don't practice much.  They may be busy performing, or dealing with life issues, or depressed, or simply lazy.  I assure you, however, that while they may all have a different threshold beyond which they may feel unacceptably rusty, rusty at their craft they will get.  As Louis said, he knew it after one day.  

As you correctly said, every improvising musician (notice I didn't say jazz musician, per Learsfool's great comment) attempts to translate the abstract ideas in his head to the physical via actual musical expression.  To accomplish that the physical apparatus needs to be exercised in a disciplined way: PRACTICE!!!.  New musical ideas can only be expressed if the player has visited the technical landscape that those musical ideas are a part of.  Example: do you think that the great Freddie Hubbard could have executed those wide intervals that became part of his signature style if he had not spent countless hours PRACTICING wide intervals in every key, so as to have that as part of his "arsenal" and draw from it?  You will surely cry, "Oh, but that was in his formative years".  Wrong.  If you don't practice those tho gas you can't reliably execute them; hand and lip muscles are muscles like any others.  Just listen to late Art Pepper or Dexter Gordon for examples of rusty playing.  Even more importantly, new ideas are developed by "being in the woodshed" and exploring and teying new things musically; things which are not always possible to do in performance.  Do yourself a favor and Google *Coltrane practice* You will read more accounts, anecdotes and even interviews than you'll be able to absorb about his incessant practice routine as part of the creative process.  After a solo, he would walk off the bandstand and go to the bathroom to continue working out ideas.  He slept with a flute by his bed (yes he played flute) so he could practice laying in bed.

i am posting this in incomplete form because I am about to land back in NY and will be losing connectivity any moment.
Frogman, You are saying exactly what I knew you would say; by definition, you can not practice  "improvising" , and that's that.  East is East, and West is West, never the twain shall meet.  The fact that you both are accomplished musicians doesn't change anything; the sky is still blue.

Enjoy the music.
O-10, first sorry for all the typos. Back on the ground now. Care to join me 😉?

Unfortunately, you responded as I expected you would; although I keep hoping. I don’t know what it is you don’t understand about what we are saying; but you just don’t, you don’t get it. Perhaps the concept is too abstract for you. You are wedded to this romantic notion of what the process is and you are simply wrong. You have much to learn about these topics and prefer to live in your self -created reality even in the face of so much evidence to the contrary. You have a real soft spot for the time you spent with your friend and I think that’s a beautiful thing. However, I would respectfully suggest that you are doing him (as a musician), his craft and his memory (?) a disservice by holding on to these mistaken notions. As concerns your friend: since you have provided so little information about him, based on what you have provided I can only conclude that either it really was only that summer that he didn’t practice (which if you think about it would not be surprising given that he was living in someone else’s apt), or that he never reached his full potential because any artist that doesn’t practice his craft simply can’t. As to how all this relates to this thread, I think this thread and the seriousness of its topic deserve better.  Did you google Coltrane/practice? 

Interesting reading for anyone who would like to learn more about the subject.  Of course, anyone can choose to shut down and deem it simply "Martian talk" and go back to their own world of artificial (but subjective) reality.  From one of the best jazz pianists on the scene today:

http://www.tedrosenthal.com/practice.htm

Frogman, I stated that was the Summer he was in my apartment. I'm sure he practiced morning noon and night in order to get so proficient with such a complex instrument, also his mother taught him, that's in his bio. He was playing before he started school and in the church.

I was talking to a musician friend of mine, telling him how good my other friend was.

"He was good, but he wasn't that good", was his reply. I'll show him I thought; that's when I bought every record I could find of him as leader or sideman. None of those records had the music he was playing that summer. He died not long after he left my apartment, and none of that music was recorded; consequently everything I have uttered about him is "moot", since I can not proof anything about the music he was playing. Of course his musician friends knew he was at my apartment that Summer, but I have no proof what so ever in regard to the music.

You can conclude this any way you like, and we can call it concluded.

Enjoy the music.

O-10:

You don't have a leg to stand on.   ALL performers and entertainers practice their craft.  Even stand up comedians.

Your friend was just a Local guy.  Maybe he didn't practice because he knew his audience and their level of musical appreciation / sophistication.   Had he been trying to have a career in a p[lace like NYC, he would have practiced, or been on welfare.  

Medium-sized  fish in a very small pond comes to mind.  

Cheers