Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

You don't have a leg to stand on.   ALL performers and entertainers practice their craft.  Even stand up comedians.

Your friend was just a Local guy.  Maybe he didn't practice because he knew his audience and their level of musical appreciation / sophistication.   Had he been trying to have a career in a p[lace like NYC, he would have practiced, or been on welfare.  

Medium-sized  fish in a very small pond comes to mind.  

Cheers

Rok, your post is total "wack". He wasn't a local musician, and he was still getting checks from "Blue Note", why don't you read all of my posts, and when you read them, if you read them, go slowly and you might get the real picture and not the picture you want to get.
Well this is not a quiz show.  (what's my line?)   Tell us who he is.   Then we will know.  Checks from Blue Note?  That's a big time label.  You name him, and we will know if he practiced or not.

Cheers
Frogman, that was a very good link, and as far as I know, before "that Summer" he lived by it. During the time he was in my apartment, it's quite possible he would have liked to practice, but it was impossible. I'm only stating what I witnessed, no less and no more.

As I reflect back to that time, I believe he knew his time was short, and nothing was more important than to get approval for his "new music" from the people, his fans; and he got that when we went to the clubs, he even played center stage under the ARCH here in St. Louis on the 4th of July. You can't get no bigger crowd than that, and he got rave reviews.

This is in no way about my philosophy of practicing or not practicing; I'm just giving an account of what I witnessed during one of the most glorious Summers in my life. Rok, you have already given his "old music" four and a half stars, maybe you would give his new music an even 5 if you could hear it. May he rest in peace.

Enjoy the music.

After seeing David Pike for $40, I decided to go through my collection and dig out all that crap I bought based on "Stereophile's" recommendations, it ain't worth 2 cents. The stuff I don't want, nobody else wants it either, even when it was recommended by Stereophile. My music collection (the good stuff) is like the house I'm living in, whether the price goes up or down, I ain't selling.

Enjoy the music.