TheVinylPress.com

As some of you know, I have been pursuing vinyl and audio for a long time, and recently decided to write about it. I launched a site called http://TheVinylPress.com which is devoted to older records that deserve renewed attention. The site launched quietly last month with a feature about the U.S.Library of Congress audio-visual restoration archive, and the latest installment features an inteview with Olav Wyper, the creator of the legendary Vertigo Swirl label. For now, this is a labor of love. I hope you find something worthwhile.*
Bill Hart
___
*N.B. The powers that be at Audiogon gave me permission to start a thread about the site.
128x128whart
Regarding Aqualung, I finally have the Steven Wilson remix and it easily bests the MFSL.
Slaw: It really does bring a different perspective to the recording; I think I also re-ranked the old DCC as a really good listen (but that one is costly). Wilson’s remix of Benefit is also a huge improvement over the original in my estimation. I think Steve Wilson is a genius. (Check out In Absentia, one of his Porcupine Tree albums if you haven’t listened to his own work- it was reissued and is readily available on vinyl).
Don’t know if you saw it, but I recently interviewed Ian Anderson on the early Tull records. And there are more Wilson goodies in the pipeline.
best,

Since my only reference (was) the MFSL, I believe it does bring an obviously different perspective, by comparison. (A while back, I started a thread, about what Aqualung pressings were best. Then, you replied, upon your shoot-out, the SW re-mix was your favorite).

I did not even need to go back to listen to the MOFI. What I hear is the following:
(1) I'm hearing a 40 year old recording that sounds like it was recorded recently.
(2) By comparison, from my memory... the PRAT is much improved. Why? There may have been an original speed inaccuracy, or the fact that everything has been cleaned up so much, that there is the perception of a more "lively" presentation?
(3) Every aspect of this lp is now, sonically correct and I can find no fault with it in my system.

I also think SW is a musical genius and have 95% of PT's output and am building my library of SW's solo works.

I just noticed that you started the Vinyl Press. I will look in to it. Thank you for your dedication to our hobby!
Slaw- thanks for the kind words. I’m going to equivocate a little in saying that the Wilson remix is my ’favorite’ - i think what I concluded was that it was a ’no brainer’ given the improvements SW made by remixing the album. Some of the early US Reprise pressings are very good, and can be found cheaply. I’ve had my MoFi copy of the album since it was released by MoFi. The 45 rpm Classic is very open sounding in the mids, lot’s of detail and nuance; but at a certain point it really becomes subjective. I will tell you it wasn’t easy to listen to Aqualung that many times, given the number of copies I compared.
If I had to pick a favorite Tull record overall, it would probably be Stand Up, though in listening to all the early Tull albums again recently, I do think Aqualung is a masterpiece as far as composition and performance are concerned.

Great site.  After listening to some of nthe records I have I believe you and I have similar listening preferences.  The Boston album is quite the revelation.  Walt's is. Better!  Lol.