Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rok, this stuff is getting outrageous, I would appreciate if you and Acman went back to my post at 11:49 today, and we proceeded from there.
Listened to David pike. The entire album.   Hard to find fault with Brazilian music.   This was pleasant enough,  but nothing exceptional.  Clark Terry was very subdued.  If you weren't paying attention you may not have noticed he was there.

If they don't really bang on the vibes, the notes will seem to run together.  Guess Hampton and Bags have spoiled me.

One thing about finding new music.  No only has it got to be new to you, but it has to be exceptional.   I liked this music, but I would not feel compelled to order it.

Speaking of Clark Terry, I was going to post him today, but the 'Ruckus' erupted and I was distracted.  Today's Listen was supposed to be -- 'COLOR CHANGES'.

Includes your boy  Yusef Lateef.  Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36aF7B5hzv4&index=1&list=PLp2dpqr8nszQCnZ907ZEhA8GqBtHIgOvf

Cheers

Rok, I was thinking those same thoughts before I read your post. Nice easy listening music, but not nice enough for me to rush out and buy it. After acquiring the best jazz of two decades, we're kind of hard to please.

I like to listen, and then go through Nica's book, it seems as though I'm looking at old friends. As a matter of fact I've been looking at some other photo books, but after Nica's I feel that I would be disappointed.

Clark Terry's "Color Changes" is not for casual listners, it's to be savored, like the kind of cognac you pour in a brandy snifter, it's got some heavy personnel; Clark Terry - trumpet, flugelhorn
Yusef Lateef - tenor saxophone, flute, English horn, oboe
Seldon Powell - tenor saxophone, flute
Julius Watkins - French horn
Jimmy Knepper - trombone
Tommy Flanagan - piano
Budd Johnson - piano (track 6)
Joe Benjamin - bass
Ed Shaughnessy - drums

Julius Watkins was with Miles and Gil Evans, it's not often you hear French horn in jazz.  I like Yusef Lateef best on those strange kind of flutes he plays.

I'm not quite sure where we go from here, but I've been hearing some interesting female vocalists on the jazz station. If you think of anything, post it.

Enjoy the music.
This may not be Jazz, but it's beautiful.   She should be a Jazz singer. :)    I listen to her a lot.

Female Jazz singer could be the part of Jazz that's in the worst shape these days.   Once you get past Dee Dee and Salvant, pickings become very slim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFdQoYaijoU  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOT0jjkhTkw 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFJRX2DkHzQ  

Cheers

I've got that on record, with a big pretty picture of Randy; that's the only thing I miss about records. Her voice is smooth as silk, and the music behind her is fantastic on "Give Me The Night". That always reminds me of Atlanta, "The New York of the South", it was a fun town during the disco era.

I've been hearing some new female vocalists on this jazz station, but I have to get their play list in order to know who I'm listening to; they just play one song after another without announcing who it is. But pickings from the known female vocalists is slim.

Randy was a nice change of pace for me, it doesn't seem like she's been around that long.

Enjoy the music.