Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I've got that on record, with a big pretty picture of Randy; that's the only thing I miss about records. Her voice is smooth as silk, and the music behind her is fantastic on "Give Me The Night". That always reminds me of Atlanta, "The New York of the South", it was a fun town during the disco era.

I've been hearing some new female vocalists on this jazz station, but I have to get their play list in order to know who I'm listening to; they just play one song after another without announcing who it is. But pickings from the known female vocalists is slim.

Randy was a nice change of pace for me, it doesn't seem like she's been around that long.

Enjoy the music.
Acman3 & O-10:

Karrin Allyson!!   WOW!!   You guys hit back to back home-runs.

Did you noticed the instruments on 'So Danco Samba' were very similar to the Dave Pike clip, but much better playing on Trumpet, Guitar, and much, much better Vibe playing.  Love that Brazilian music.

'Everything must Change' just had me motionless.   Fantastic.   Being from KC is good.   Great Jazz town.

Now this is the kind of 'New Music' that increases your collection.  Always good to meet new talent.   At least new to me.

Thanks for the clips.

Cheers

Newbee, your comments directed at me are valid. While I am not sure that I would characterize my motivation as condescending (certainly not in intent and as unbiased as I could hope to be), I can certainly understand why they could be viewed that way. I have struggled with this issue practically from the beginning of my participation in this thread and you are also quite correct that I may have underestimated just how transparent the motivation of some may be to others. Here’s the struggle:

Musicians are teachers by nature and that makes it almost impossible to stand by silent in the face of misinformation. That may seem grandiose to some, but it’s simply the way it is. Others’ motivation may be transparen to others, but motivation is not nearly as potentially misleading as bad and incorrect information. However, you are correct that the bullshit and rancor can only detract from what the thread may have to offer; limitations and all. So, my options are to simply ignore the incorrect information presented as fact or stop participating. The first option won’t work; can’t do that. So, while I am not prepared to say that I won’t visit this thread ever again, I think it’s time for a break from it.  Thanks for the candid commentary.