Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Acman3 & O-10:

Karrin Allyson!!   WOW!!   You guys hit back to back home-runs.

Did you noticed the instruments on 'So Danco Samba' were very similar to the Dave Pike clip, but much better playing on Trumpet, Guitar, and much, much better Vibe playing.  Love that Brazilian music.

'Everything must Change' just had me motionless.   Fantastic.   Being from KC is good.   Great Jazz town.

Now this is the kind of 'New Music' that increases your collection.  Always good to meet new talent.   At least new to me.

Thanks for the clips.

Cheers

Newbee, your comments directed at me are valid. While I am not sure that I would characterize my motivation as condescending (certainly not in intent and as unbiased as I could hope to be), I can certainly understand why they could be viewed that way. I have struggled with this issue practically from the beginning of my participation in this thread and you are also quite correct that I may have underestimated just how transparent the motivation of some may be to others. Here’s the struggle:

Musicians are teachers by nature and that makes it almost impossible to stand by silent in the face of misinformation. That may seem grandiose to some, but it’s simply the way it is. Others’ motivation may be transparen to others, but motivation is not nearly as potentially misleading as bad and incorrect information. However, you are correct that the bullshit and rancor can only detract from what the thread may have to offer; limitations and all. So, my options are to simply ignore the incorrect information presented as fact or stop participating. The first option won’t work; can’t do that. So, while I am not prepared to say that I won’t visit this thread ever again, I think it’s time for a break from it.  Thanks for the candid commentary.
Wow.  First, to Newbee - I'm sure that you probably perceive me as being more condescending than Frogman, and I would totally understand that.  His justification that we are teachers by nature and therefore cannot stand by in the face of misinformation could not be better stated.  

O-10 - first, I agree with you 100% that Clark Terry's Color Changes is a really great album.  Julius Watkins was an amazing guy.  Not your typical horn sound, but he could play.  There are a couple of albums he made as a leader, believe it or not, but unfortunately they are very hard to find on LP because they happen to be Blue Notes, so the Japanese collectors go nuts and drive the prices up to outrageous amounts.  The group is called the Julius Watkins Sextet on those albums, I'm sorry I don't remember the titles.  Too tired to type more about Julius Watkins at the moment, but if you like, I have MUCH more to say about him - very interesting life he led.  I also have a discography of his somewhere, so I could look up those album titles on it, now that I think about it.  One of the most hilarious albums he made, by the way, is called French Horns For My Lady - if you ever see that in a record store, buy it (Philips label)!  More about that another time, if wanted, too.  

OK, there was one comment that I cannot let pass.  "Since he was performing three nights a week, there was absolutely no need for some kind of ritualistic practicing."  No, no, no, no, no.  This is dead wrong.  As Frogman and I have both explained, one MUST maintain one's chops to keep one's playing level to a certain standard.  So if your friend was not practicing that summer, that doesn't mean he couldn't play/perform - but it does mean that he was nowhere near his top playing level.  There is absolutely no way on earth he could have been, simply because the muscles must be kept in top shape.  Just like an athlete's, believe it or not, except we use much weaker muscle groups that have to last for much longer careers - you have to put in your daily routine, we call it, though it is not necessarily ritualistic, most of us vary it quite a bit.  There are definitely about 20 minutes worth of "warm-up" type exercises that I do in exactly the same way every day, but beyond that there would be another 20 minutes worth of exercises that would be varied depending on what type of playing I am doing at work, or have coming  up in the near future, or even distant future sometimes.  And if we don't practice, that is the same thing as an athlete not working out - they get out of shape VERY quickly, and so do we.  Again, I am not saying this means you can't play  (though for a professional brass player, you would never take an entire summer off, it would take a too long to get back to where you were - the most I have ever taken is one month off, and it took about three weeks after that to get back to top shape) - you are nowhere near your top level.  You have mentioned that your friend was very close to the end of a long life and career, too, which means that his playing was almost certainly  not at his peak anyway.  Just like with the athletes, this is one very unfortunate thing about being a musician - your mind and your musicianship are more highly developed than ever, but you can't do some of the stuff you used to do anymore.  I am just young enough to not quite be at that point in my career yet, but I am fast nearing it.  I'm at least several years behind Frogman in age, possibly even a decade.  I hope to have another twenty years in me, though it may end up being more like fifteen - as a brass player in particular, you never know for sure.....
Well, now that our so-called, 'condescending teachers', have had their say, lets let the 'students' speak.

First I would like for our OP to list all, or at least some of the things he has learned from The Frogman and Learsfool.  Learned about music.

I will do the same.   I'll go first.  Acman3 feel free to weigh in also.

(1)  I learned about the functions / duties of a section leader / Principal in a Symphony Orchestra from Learsfool.

(2)  From Learsfool, I also learned a bit about the financial side of Symphony Orchestras.

(3)  From Learsfool, I learned a bit about the World of Orchestra Conductors.  How they are hired, how does a person train to be one etc.....

From The Frogman, I was 'taught' That Stravinsky ranks right up there with Mozart as a Composer.  This went in one ear and out the other.

The Frogman also informed me that a certain clip of the Trumpet player, Tom Harrell, that I called 'noise', was actually the 'perfect' bebop solo.
I have never in my life ever heard or read of any performance by anyone being called 'perfect'.  I took that for what it was worth.

That's about it for me.  Not a lot after three years.  Looking forward to hearing what all the other 'students' learned from these self-appointed, 'teachers'.

I think they are both  full of themselves.   But that could be just one man's opinion.

Newbee did make a wonderful suggestion to The Frogman.   Why not start your own thread, then you can teach all of the 'pedestrian' Jazz Lovers of Audiogon.

BTW, If you have a few moments, could you list some of that 'misinformation' that O-10 and I put out?      Thanks.

Cheers

Learsfool , somewhere during our discussions, I determined that our mystery jazzman was a organist. I can't remember when or where, and I never was able to be 100 percent sure, but somewhere through the years I decided he was an organist. Does it change your opinion of the possibilities of O-10's magic summer? 

O-10, am I hot or cold?