Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
There is expression that says that all art was modern, in one point in time. Process of reception of a 'new art' was always hard and history of any art is full of examples when some, at first scorned, art form has become recognised and valued. There is no surprise to me that same discussion is held here, the principal question beeing to define  what  is 'jazz jazz' music , in opposition to music that was created couple decades later and by opinions of some, does not deserve to be called by the same name. Setting or recognising  the standards who could enable us to understand music better proved to be much harder, because the discussion became somehow irrational and its emphasis  was never about the principles of music, neither about social or cutural era  that influenced or shaped some particular form, instead the 'arguments' were drawn on basis of personal feelings and experiences. Even if one (or many) wants to declare that  'having soul' is the most important factor which will determine which music has a right to be called 'jazz jazz', I belleive that he owes us an explanation what 'soul' is, in music anyway. So far I have not read any such attempts.
If this 'discussion' is going to continue I would certainly like that any attempt in 'proving' any point is concentrated on confronting the thoughts instead of persons.
As for my opinion,on this subject, or better, I should say taste, if anyone cares, is that I prefer music that was created up untill lets say 1965. Later, maybe only if the style hasnt changed much, usually made by same protagonists.
In the same time I am very curios to understand what someone very knowledgabe ( like Frg.and Leafr.) prefer about new expressions and why they value the idea behind the music more than its aestetchics (correct me if I am wrong)
Also, I think, by learning and later perhaps knowing or recognising 'their point' can open the whole new world in appreciating the music that now stays beyond our understanding.

https://youtu.be/Q3bbsDJWlXQ

Acman, at this point I prefer that everyone assume there never was any friend, and I made the whole thing up.
Whenever I read the comments section of a major new story I always regret it and come away with an "unclean" feeling.  Will I ever learn to not click on the comments section?  This thread is the Audiogon equivalent.  Frogman, I applaud your effort to fight the good fight, but it's time to stop.  I have never experienced a more concerted effort by a few individuals to not learn what they do not know.  Logic, knowledge and experience have their limits.  You would have a better chance of changing the mind of a creationist regarding biological evolution.
Alex, I previously said that I needed a break from this thread. Your post is, in many respects, the best vacation of all. That was a fantastic post and I agree point for point; an extremely insightful post which is much of what I had hoped this thread would be in part; and, yes, per the OP. Thank you! However, I do need a break so as not to succumb to the temptation of pointlessly responding to some other, not nearly as thoughtful, comments. I will address your great post in (hopefully) short order.   Perhaps you, yourself, or others can get the ball rolling exploring your comments.

Ohnwy61, you are probably correct. Alex’s post portends well, however, and there are always better and smarter ways to take the high road. Time will tell.
Speaking of Jazz divas.   Miss Wright made the cover of Downbeat in Jan 2016.   This CD, (Dreaming  Wide Awake) made it to number one on the Contemporary Jazz Charts.   For what that's worth.

She is sort of hard to put in any box.   Sings blues and gospel also.  From Georgia, sang in the church, father was a preacher, College in Atlanta.  So far so good. 

Then near disaster.   Attended  the New School in NYC and also 'studied' in Canada.   But, she seems to have survived the experience with her musical sensibilities intact..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FobnjdYOnyw

Her Gospel CD is pretty good also. (Fellowship).

Cheers