Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I keep wandering why I'm so late discovering Mary Lou Williams? She's such a talent, that it seems impossible; especially when I think of all the non talented people who've been shoved in my face, and all the lousy records I have in my collection.
Hi Rok - actually, the horn is quite a bit more "nimble" than the trombone.  The trombone's slide makes it awkward to play things that are very fast, for instance.  The horn has the advantage of the valves, like the trumpet.  Even the tuba is technically more "nimble" than the trombone, again because of the valves.  However, you are correct when you say that the basic tone of the trombone is more suited to  jazz in general than the horn is.  And in many jazz styles,  the slide is an advantage.  Although technically the tenor trombone's range is almost the same as the horn's, in actual practice the horn usually covers quite a bit larger range, and on a smaller mouthpiece, too.  This is the reason the horn is considered the most difficult of the brass instruments, and one of the most difficult overall - we have to cover the largest range on the smallest mouthpiece, which means we are using less surface area, and therefore taxing the muscles of the embouchure more.  

Getting back to the horn in jazz, you normally see it in big bands, not as a solo instrument.  I have occasionally performed with a big band, though mostly that was when I was still a student.  There are often big band shows on our pops series, though, I would say at least a couple a season - in fact we have one coming up in a couple of weeks that is mostly the music of Louis Armstrong, I think.  I have only given the music a glance so far, as we have a much harder (and brutal on the face) symphonic program to get through this coming week first.  Though that Louis Armstrong show looks like it may be pretty brutal, too.  

Anyway, there have been a few famous jazz hornists over the years, and there are actually quite a few active right now, maybe more than there have ever been.  
Hi Acman - I just saw your post about your guess on O-10's friend, don't know why I missed it last night.  An organist is a fascinating guess, as it would immediately provide a very good reason why O-10 would have never heard him practice in his apartment - he couldn't have if he was an organist!  But my impression has been that O-10 is implying that his friend could have practiced in his apartment if he had wanted to.  In fact, I even thought that O-10 once mentioned that his friend was a saxophonist, though apparently I am not remembering that right, and even the instrument is a mystery.  I notice he hasn't had any comment on your guess. 
Excellent Jazz discussions here guys. I am happy that you guys are back on track! Happy Listening!
*****  actually, the horn is quite a bit more "nimble" than the trombone. *****

I stand corrected.   Why do I have this strange feeling someone is smiling in NYC.

Learsfool, Thanks for info.

Cheers