Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Learsfool:

Speaking of musical instruments.   Where does / did the impetus for creating or developing new musical instruments come from? 

Cheers

Alex, I'm going to almost clear things up; if such a person existed, his style would have been similar to Fred Jackson's, but that was before he lived in my apartment. The music he played when he lived in my apartment was so advanced from that music, and none of it was recorded.

Acman3's statement is Gospel truth.

The bottom line is; I can not prove the music he was playing during the time he was living in my apartment. My detractors might say, "You can't believe anything he say's". That's fine because I always provide links, no one has to believe anything I say; however, "The mystery jazzman did not practice for one single solitary day, nor did he give any inclination that he wanted to".

Acman, I believe you know who the person that does not exist is, keep it to yourself, and maintain what I told you.

Irony of ironies, when I turned on my rig, (my play list is so long that it plays continuously) the "Mystery jazzman" was playing as a sideman. That concludes this story forever.

Enjoy the music.
Big mistake, I thought Fred Jackson played the organ, but it was "Earl Van Dyke" on Organ.  Since organ is the subject, that's good enough.

I guess you guys are tired of my stories by now; I've still got a few, but I'm absolutely not going to mention any names if their careers were shortened by substance abuse.

Jeanne Trevor is a name I can mention. I remember when she was a stone fox; she's in 'semi retirement' now and performs at our church sometime. I've got her bio here.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/jeanne-trevor-mn0000814358

You can check it out, I remember when she performed at a most elegant establishment on Lindel Blvd., that's one of the ritziest streets in St. Louis. She wasn't recording when she was singing there, so I just discovered; that was a big mistake. She sang "torchy jazz songs" when I saw her; she was quite a fox then.

Here she is at a concert in 2013. The best thing about Ms. Trevor is the fact that she's enjoying life; here she is with Wendy Gordon having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjJK52t2k60

Enjoy the music.
O-10, is the reason you do not want to name your friend because he was a substance abuser, and this shortened his life/career?  If so, why? I don't think any serious listener's opinion of his playing is going to change because of that knowledge (certainly no serious musician's would!).  If you have talked about this before, I'm sorry I do not recall it.  If this is the only reason you are holding back, I would say that you do not need to worry about that.