Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10's invisible and nonexistent friend:

Have you guys seen the Jimmy Stewart movie 'Harvey'.

Cheers
Sartre:

Had to read this guy in college.   Back then I thought he was full of crap.  But now, I know he is full of crap and himself.  Europeans should not try to write about things they don't understand. (Jazz)

Cheers

Alex, that was very good. I didn't see anything "objective" from the writers point of view. From a music teacher's or musicians point of view, there is a lot that's objective, but since I'm neither one of them, my point of view is purely "subjective", and there is no way I can put it any other way.

One of my detractors stated that my post's are more about my perceptions and opinions, than the music it self. Should my post's be about his perceptions and opinions?

"Sharing an opinion with others can be a fine thing, but confusing your opinion, and/or valuation, of the music itself, or even a specific performance, with something absolute, is too god like for me to want to endure. Nothing new here. I said as much 3 years ago."

The above is what one of my detractors wrote. He states that I have confused my opinions as something absolute. Only a person with an "objective" point of view does this, it is my detractor who is confused.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, what was the truth yesterday, is a big fat lie today. I don't know if you've ever watched "Charley Chan", but I'm a Charley Chan fan, and I think about how all the different departments functioned like they were supposed to; now everything functions according to "money", and people do as they are told and not according to the purpose for which they were hired.

For example: raising interest rates was the very worst thing a person could do when unemployment was high, plus a lot of people had those loans where their payments went up if the interest rate went up. Those people lost their homes when they couldn't pay, because their house payments went a lot higher than they agreed on.

"They said", meaning they who say whatever they are told to say; they said those people tried to buy more house than they could pay for; but the truth is those people agreed to payments they could make; say a thousand dollars a month, but when the payment went to two thousand a month, they couldn't pay, and were foreclosed on.

A high school graduate in economics would have known not to raise the interest rate, why didn't Ben Bernanke Know not to raise the rate? He's stated that raising the rate was a mistake. What good does that do all those homeless people? Is knowing how to install a cartridge more important than paying attention to what's going on in Washington?

I know this is completely off subject, but I do that occasionally.

Enjoy the music.