Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:
Could it be that you are just adverse to the  "Nut & Bolts". of music.

Cheers

Rok, in regard to your nuts and bolts, take them back to the hardware store. In regard to my knowledge and opinion of jazz music, it has been validated over the years. If you go back through the posts, you will discover that my taste in music is preferred over Frogman's.

In regard to the nuts and bolts, those who regard such in their "jazz" music, make it quite clear, because some of their preferences sound like it.

Let me give yall something else to knock, I do not recall one written musical sheet of paper any where near my "imaginary jazz musician".

If this isn't enough, I got more.
Today's Listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m85XjDtBvU4&index=1&list=PLsvmOVH32OwBU9QVUEyApHLk_Vb91mSmX

I would like for everyone to write their thoughts on this CD.  The Tune lineup is stellar.  The cover photo is Gawjus.   What do you think of the performance?  The tunes are all well known so it should be easy listening.

Since this is a German Band, I am anxious to see what ALEX thinks.

Cheers
O-10, other than they are playing a Bill Evan's tune, and Bill Evan's bass player is on bass, I don't think they sound much alike.

Mr. Evans has a soft touch and quite a different way of playing from Mr. Werner. Werner actually strikes his keys when they are bad. Evans always tries to spoil his keys with timeouts.

I do think they both would agree, less is more.