Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, I have "Stardust" on "Jazz Round Round Midnight"; she's accompanied by many of the artists we've already discussed, not a hint of R&B on this CD. It captures the essence of the person; she had a deep longing for something that could never be, her 8 marriages might be an indication of that.

"Honey, if I told you, you'd faint" was one of her responses to the "Three Wishes".
This CD captures the person inside the entertainer more than any other.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, for my entire life I thought this was Latin American in origin. Music to me is what it convey's;

When they begin
the beguine
it brings back the sound
of music so tender
it brings back a night
of tropical splendor
it brings back a memory of green

I'm with you once more
under the stars
and down by the shore
an orchestras playing
and even the palms
seem to be swaying
when they begin
the beguine

to live it again
is past all endeavor
except when that tune
clutches my heart
and there we are swearing to love forever
and promising never
never to part

a moments divine
what rapture serene
to clouds came along
to disperse the joys we had tasted
and now when I hear people curse the chance that was wasted
I know but too well what they mean

so dont let them begin the beguine
let the love that was once a fire
remain an ember
let it sleep like the dead desire I only remember
when they begin the beguine

oh yes let them begin the beguine
make them play
til the stars that were there before
return above you
till you whisper to me
once more darling I love you
and we suddenly know what heaven we're in
when they begin
the beguine

These lyrics, plus the music convey Latin America. According to the creole of the Caribbean, especially in Martinique and Guadeloupe, the term "Beguine" applied to a style of music and dance, and in particular a slow, close couples' dance. This combination of French ballroom dance and Latin folk dance became popular in Paris.

Xavier Cougat's version convey's this better than Artie Shaw's version. Technically, you are right because Artie Shaw popularized it. My point beyond determining who's right or wrong, is to establish what music convey's to individuals; this is why music is always "subjective".

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, for my entire life I thought this was Latin American in origin. Music to me is what it convey's;

When they begin
the beguine
it brings back the sound
of music so tender
it brings back a night
of tropical splendor
it brings back a memory of green

I'm with you once more
under the stars
and down by the shore
an orchestras playing
and even the palms
seem to be swaying
when they begin
the beguine

to live it again
is past all endeavor
except when that tune
clutches my heart
and there we are swearing to love forever
and promising never
never to part

a moments divine
what rapture serene
to clouds came along
to disperse the joys we had tasted
and now when I hear people curse the chance that was wasted
I know but too well what they mean

so dont let them begin the beguine
let the love that was once a fire
remain an ember
let it sleep like the dead desire I only remember
when they begin the beguine

oh yes let them begin the beguine
make them play
til the stars that were there before
return above you
till you whisper to me
once more darling I love you
and we suddenly know what heaven we're in
when they begin
the beguine

These lyrics, plus the music convey Latin America. According to the creole of the Caribbean, especially in Martinique and Guadeloupe, the term "Beguine" applied to a style of music and dance, and in particular a slow, close couples' dance. This combination of French ballroom dance and Latin folk dance became popular in Paris.

Xavier Cougat's version convey's this better than Artie Shaw's version. Technically, you are right because Artie Shaw popularized it. My point beyond determining who's right or wrong, is to establish what music convey's to individuals; this is why music is always "subjective".

Enjoy the music.

begin the Beguine:

you can wiki it and get the facts / history. Cole Porter etc.......

A long time ago we talked about 'influences'. This is an example of latin influence. The lyrics are surely latin in style and content. :) After all, it took place on an island.

Cheers
****she had a deep longing for something that could never be, her 8 marriages might be an indication of that.*****

hahahahahha you are the master of understatement!

Cheers