Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Today's listen:

Charles Mingus -- MINGUS AT THE BOHEMIA

Some of the most unique compositions ever, AND, they are explained in the liner notes, written by Mal Waldron, who also plays piano on the set.

On this set Mingus plays two songs at once. He does this twice. First on 'septemberly' and The second time on 'all the things you C-sharp' he even includes a little 'clair de lune'.

The music is up to Mingus' usual high standards. But the liner notes, written by one of the players, are priceless!
Sort of like taking a language class. They say something in the language you are trying to master(the music), and then you read the translation in your native tongue(the liner notes).

I think these guys(any Mingus group), rehearse a lot!

Great stuff!

This morning's first performance in the 'Battle of the Nutcrackers' on Ovation, was a disappointment. Too 'modern'. The costumes were a distraction and added nothing to the ballet. Maybe tomorrow's performance will be better.

Cheers

Frogmen, that was a very good summation.

Here's an artist we haven't covered, "Eumir Deodato", he was born in Brazil, but his music is all over the place. These are the tunes that I liked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJKsp9_L24Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBZY6urezxQ

Enjoy the music.

Rok, when Dinah died, she was married to "Night Train" Lane, a professional football player. I'm just putting the pieces together: "Her deep longing for something she had not obtained", "Honey if I told you, you'd faint", and her last marriage to an athlete who broke records for interceptions, which means he was long winded, and had a strong heart; maybe she fulfilled her last wish, but didn't live long enough to enjoy it; just speculating, what do you think?

Enjoy the music.
Man, O-10, you just sent me back forty years (ouch!) with those Deodato clips. Nothing beats the sound of a Fender Rhodes piano on that kind of groove. I was a kid in high school when that was on the radio constantly; love it! I believe it was the great John Tropea on guitar on those cuts. Made me think of another player who I was into back then who you might like if you like that kind of sound. The first clip "Last Tango In Paris" features a young Michael Brecker on tenor with one of my favorite recorded solos of his, and probably the reason that I started to play the saxophone after having started on clarinet a few years earlier. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OCBt4TMRl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E92y1wr2Gs

Rok, I don't have Mingus at the Bohemia, but I do have "Jump Monk" from that album on a compilation. Mingus tried to simulate Monk's dance movements on his bass, which was impossible because if you ever saw Monk dance, you would know that he was moving to a beat that's never been heard. Although Monk's dancing could stand a lot of room for improvement, I liked Mingus's bass. That was a highly significant album.

Enjoy the music.