Second audio system in your house?

Hi, just curious how many of you have a second audio system in your house, and, actually use it? I've recently bought some new components and had planned on selling my old amp, but I'm still attached to it, and with a small investment, say $1000, I could get some bookshelf speakers and a CD player. On the fence about the whole idea. There's a whole lot of other things to do with $1000 mind you, so I'm not sure if it's the most sensible thing to get into. I won't even ask the wife what her opinion is, as I already know it.
wetfeet48
So, you're  not sure it's a the sensible thing to do, but, "I won't even ask the wife what her opinion is, as I already know it." I take it that means you doubt she would be in favor of it. 

Uh, oh.  See the thread on Audio - Post Divorce...  ;)

@vicweast I should have been more specific. The integrated is really a hybrid. Tubes in front of Class AB … versus all tube design. The tubes I rolled are small input tubes, unlike your power valves. At any rate, I replaced the stock Chinese 6N1’s with a matched quad of 1960’s Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8’s. I prefer the sound of these more than anything in that class - except maybe Amperex PQ (6922).

The unit was purchased direct from China via eBay. One last thing: Lots of folks like to trash Chinese gear, but I found this unit to be fairly well-built and definitely up to “second system” task. To that end, it sounds great to me and that’s really all that counts. The only annoyance was it gave off kind of a funny electrical smell when it was new. It took a little time, but that finally disappeared after it was broken in

So, you're not sure it's a the sensible thing to do, but, "I won't even ask the wife what her opinion is, as I already know it." I take it that means you doubt she would be in favor of it.

Uh, oh. See the thread on Audio - Post Divorce... ;)
Yeah I've learned not to ask. When it has to do with toys I pretty much go with the "buy it anyway and tell her later strategy". I'm not sure how good of a strategy it is for marriage, but it's pretty effective as I get to keep most things that show up. 

Actually the the budget doesn't have to be $1000, just a nice goal. I figured maybe a $700 pair of speakers (new/used) and a nice, used NAD/Parasound/Marantz/Emotiva/any audiophile grade CD player would compliment my old amp (Bryston B60). Actually I love some of stratehed's ideas with the wireless adapter, tubes, BJ cables. 

I think this thread was a bit of a surprise and figured it would convince me to just sell the old amp and move on, but I'm pretty much feeling convinced otherwise, as in, I'm already researching other components. It's a black money hole as tgmitchell mentioned above, but at least I plan on this hole being considerably smaller. 

Hey vicweast, I have a new Rogue too, it's the base hybrid model, Sphinx. I read so many positive reviews I decided to go for it. First piece of gear I didn't audition first. Tubes rolled with RCA NOS. I'm really enjoying it so far, non fatiguing too. I'm debating if my second system should be 100% tubes - but not starting any debates! 

That Oppo headphone amp sure looks interesting t-bon3, but that's getting into a third system!

A thought which might keep the peace in the household; get a cheap music making machine, i.e. countertop radio of sorts for the other room if the wife likes music, and circulate in other gear into your main rig. The "second" system will sound better if it's a variety of the main system. 

I would focus on a second set of speakers if you have the space. Perhaps save up a bit more or sell the amp, and seek variety of technology in selection of the second pair. 

@wetfeet48 

I love tube gear now, but I also like the reliability of my car stereo which will never need to be biased or have it's tubes replaced. 

I think tube gear makes the most sense for me in a critical listening system, not in a system you keep on for hours in the background.