Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Newbee, I'm what you might call a "regular extra"; saxophone not being a regular instrument in an orchestra, although I have played and recorded on bass clarinet with them as well.  Sorry, moment of weakness; I think I can safely say I don't blow my own horn too often this way ☺️.  Fantastic orchestra and fantastic concept; conductor-less orchestra.
Dude, now you’re really getting silly. First of all, there he is on your own first list at #15; although I (and many others) would place him higher. You’re cherry picking your lists and not accounting for the subjective nature of this silly exercise. He is clearly on most lists of best, greatest, most influential, etc. "Best"? We’ve been down that road before; no? So, by your approach there would be the "best" 10-15 jazz players or composers and everyone else is bogus? C’mon! Still waiting for your informative thoughts re Phil’s arranging skills. As the Count used to say, "One more once!": just because anyone person (you) can’t understand the music does not make it less great in the scheme of things. I know, I know,the great unwashed and all that nonsense 😊

Rok, no matter what you say they will never get it.

Frogman, can you say "stereotypical", that was the sound of Phil Woods jazz. Did he do anything that was unique? He did his best to imitate "Bird", but so did a lot of other people; that was his claim to fame.

Newbee, are we talking about anthropology or music?

Where is Learsfool? That's all we need to complete the 'wackery'.

Enjoy the music.