Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Alex:
*****  Everything is conected,and there are so many influences to music, and jazz is not an exception. I dont know why that sound so strange to you, Rok and Orpheus?
 For example, if the events around WW2 did not make the largest migration of artists and intellectuals in history, from Europe to US, do you think that American musical culture would be the same today? After all, Stravinsky, Bartok, Schoenberg, Hindemith all went to States, later two taught in universities there.*****

If would be helpful if you would read my posts, and not respond to the straw-men arguments thrown out by The Frogman.   I am quite capable of saying what I mean.   I have said that all music is a great continuation starting with prehistoric humans.

We just don't buy into the school of thought,  that the "European Classical Tradition" is the end all, be all, of human music.  It was not Alpha and it sure as hell won't be Omega.   Just a bump along the journey.

World War ll:

German and European Classical Music Culture seems to have fared just great since the war.   And are you are saying we would not have had folks like: Stravinsky, Bartok,Schoenberg and Hindemith but for the war?   If so, we suffered more than I thought as a result of that Damn EUROPEAN war.

Cheers

***** Rok, no matter what you say they will never get it.*****

O-10,  I don't even know why you bother.  They are so arrogant.   They will never understand, why do you waste your time, etc.........

hahahah   sound familiar?

Cheers

Frogman, jazz can not be properly defined; if something can not be properly defined, how can it be objective?

Many jazzmen have objected to the word "Jazz". As far as I am concerned, it only defines the music up until the 70's. Some want to argue whether or not Pat Metheney is a jazz musician, I don't because I like much of his music whatever you call it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUAK02_o9cI

I like this music regardless what you call it. I find "stereotypical" jazz boring.

No I'm not defining jazz, I'm defining me, as you should define you.

Enjoy the music.
Rok, for better or worse, I read your posts. ' So we can say that there would be no Jazz and also no "European Classical Tradition" without our log beater in Africa.   I will agree that Jazz is a eventual result of the first human attempt to make music.   That would be about 55,000 years ago.   I think that predates Europe, let along the "European Classical Tradition". 
If I may ask, does this mean that you think that jazz has no influence from Classical music ?
Or do you mean that had other important influences as well?
****We just don’t buy into the school of thought, that the "European Classical Tradition" is the end all, be all, of human music. It was not Alpha and it sure as hell won’t be Omega.****

Kindly explain who and when, on this thread, made such a comment? Talk about strawman arguments.

****Just because you say it, don’t make it so. I know that may be hard for you to grasp****

You’re absolutely correct! Except for the "hard to grasp" part. You see, I base my comments on my perceptions and the opinion of individuals who can put me under the table and shame me with the depth of their knowledge about musical matters. They are out there and I welcome those individuals into my sphere of knowledge.

O-10, no way! I’m not touching that one again. Besides what does that have to do with what is being discussed now? I think your "cut/paste" function on your pc may be stuck. I seem to have read that exact comment a few times before; Metheny and all.

Now, c’mon you guys, is it really that hard to see how silly all this is. If it weren’t for the hipocracy of it all it would be kinda funny. Let’s try to do better and uplift this thread. The music deserves it.