Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I actually consider Charles Ives to be the quintessential American composer.  He wrote quite a lot of music - hundreds of songs, a very famous piano sonata called the Concord Sonata, and many pieces for orchestra.  A very short and popular piece for orchestra by Ives is called the Unanswered Question - that might be a good place to start.  One of his largest scale works is his 4th Symphony.  

By the way, Frogman, my father transcribed his violin sonata for clarinet.

Learsfool, you are cleverly evading my statement, consequently I have to repeat it; "You will never be able to improvise like the jazz musicians we have discussed, no matter how much you practice, or how many schools you go to".  Your statement was that you have to practice in order to improvise.  You have to practice in order to play "Jingle Bells" properly.   

Have we concluded the practicing and improvising?
Frogman, I never heard of Charles Ives before you mentioned him.  Did he jam at Mintons?
This what I am trying to say.   After this, I'm moving on.   

Ford Motor company invents the assembly line method of auto production.  A truly great innovation.   Changes manufacturing around the globe.   Cars are still produced this way today.   Ford still does it, as does makers like BMW, and Rolls Royce.

The question is, although we agree Ford changed, influenced, the way cars are made.  But, what do current Rolls Royce cars, and BMW cars, have in common with Ford Fusions.   Where is the FORD influence in a Rolls Royce automobile?

People around the world paint by smashing plants to create some sort of dye, and they then use their fingers to paint or draw on cave walls or rocks or trees.   Some guy, "Mr Jones", one day invents canvas, paint and brushes.  His invention spreads around the world at light speed.  Everyone is using Canvas, paint and brushes.

Question:  Has Mr Jones influenced art?  He certainly has influenced the tools they use to paint.   But, has he influence WHAT artist around the world paint?  Can you say that the Mona Lisa was influenced by Mr Jones?

Are we confusing tools and methods, with the talent and creativity to use those tools?

In my opinion, The European Classical Tradition is represented by Ford and "Mr Jones."  Rolls Royce and The Mona Lisa , represent folks like Mingus and Ellington.

That's as clear as I can state my position.   Time to move on.

Cheers

Rok, those two Sam Lazar links are very important; using your Harvey, Sam Stewart analogy, that was as close to any music I could find that Harvey was playing that Summer. Listen as well as you can through the distortion.

Sam Lazar was like a shooting star; he burned brighter than any of the other stars for a minute or two, and then went out. Fortunately, he played many local clubs, and I caught him as much as I could.

Sam Lazar was an American pianist and Hammond organist originally from St. Louis, Missouri. A mysterious figure who disappeared from the music scene in the early 1960s He is best known for fronting a group that included early work from guitarist Grant Green. His first LP on Argo Records approximates his birth year as 1933. Initially a pianist, Lazar played in Ernie Wilkins group before Wilkins left St. Louis to join Count Basie. This was followed by a stint in George Hudson's big band which also included Clark Terry and Jimmy Forrest at various times. After a tour with alto saxophonist Tab Smith.

In 1958, Lazar saw the Jimmy Smith trio at the Peacock Alley club in St. Louis and was inspired to play the Hammond organ. His St. Louis-based organ combo later included guitarists Grant Green, Joe Diorio, George Eskridge, drummer Chauncey Williams and saxophonist Miller Brisker among others. Not only did the group play a variety of gigs from strip clubs to jazz clubs, but they were reportedly one of the first interracial combos in the area.

Lazar recorded a single on Cawthron Records, and then went on to make several albums in the 1960s for the Chicago-based Argo Records. His first, Space Flight, was recorded in 1960 and added bassist Willie Dixon to his regular working combo featuring Williams and fellow St. Louis musician Grant Green.

He disappeared from the music scene in the early 60's, and nobody seems to know what happened to him. Musicians like him are definitely worth a listen, especially if you can find a CD without so much distortion.

Enjoy the music.