Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

That was a fun clip, was it from a movie? I enjoyed it; in these time we certainly need a lot more uplifting fun type of music, and there was nothing more fun than the "Boogie Woogie".

Enjoy the music.
***** was it from a movie?*****

I am not sure.   Maybe some war / military movie of the '1941' type.

cheers

Rok, have you ever noticed that the people who complain about what I talk about, never have anything to talk about themselves.

Right now I'm listening to "Moanin". The same one that's on the album, the album that's better than KOB. Every time Bobby Timmons strikes a piano key, I hear something that I've never heard before, although I've heard this tune a million times. I can stand to listen to Benny Golson's solo on "Along Came Betty" forever; if they (KOB people) feel half of what I feel when I hear Blakey's album "Moanin", I can understand why they buy so many copies.

Here's the link just in case you haven't heard it for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv9NSR-2DwM

This is "Along Came Betty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTzRHq_cH5E

Benny Golson's sax is as smooth as silk; where can you find something like this on KOB?

Enjoy the music.
Moanin' & Along came Betty:

Listening closely to each note of great Jazz, has been known to bring on severe cases of spontaneous smiling.

Cheers

Rok, I have seen more complaints about me than you can shake a stick at. Is this thread titled "What's wrong with Orpheus" or "Jazz For Aficionados"? If it's the first, a lot of people are batting 100, but if it's the latter, they have failed to contribute anything.

Who ever has a complaint about this thread can change it any way they want to; do you want the latest in jazz? Fine, link it up and let us hear it. Do you want Classical? That's good to, I have no objection? If you want Hill Billy ( post it on another thread) OK, but I can't promise I'll listen.

See how easy it is to have it any way you want it.

Enjoy the music.