Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Acman, I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't "April fool day". Since that's not it.... I'm going to pass on this one, and let Frogman make the judgement.
Hi Orpheus - I have a couple of questions, and a comment.  First, I for one am very puzzled by your use of the term "wire-worshipers."  If this is a reference to something on this thread, I must have missed it.  What do you mean by it?  I am assuming this is not a reference to speaker wire??  

Second - this is a repeat of a question in my last post - just how do YOU think that all these jazz greats we have talked about on this thread became so good?  I really would like to hear your honest answer to this.  

Third - I for one am not "complaining" about you.  I applaud you for your love of music, and for starting this thread, which is one of the best I have ever encountered online.  I am merely trying to correct a few of your most obvious misperceptions.  I know you do not care about this, but it is not about you - it is for others that read this thread and who are interested in how music and musicians really work, of which there are clearly plenty.  
Keaggy & Pachelli and Adrian Legg:

It is very hard for a professional player to sound 'bad' on solo or duet acoustic guitar.  But try and visualize the same music being played on Trumpet or Saxophone.  

Sort of like playing vibes, a lot of routine unexceptional  playing, and players, can hide behind certain instruments.

Solo guitar sounds very life-like on high end stereo systems.  We can hear the fingers pluck the strings, seems as if we can  hear the individual vibrations.   Close your eyes and they are in your living room.   No orchestra can make you feel that way with Beethoven Symphonies.

But what are they saying?  My take?  Not much.  Very simplistic music.   Neither the Players nor the music was as good as it sounded at first listen.

Of course neither clip was Jazz.

Cheers