Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, this is my concept when I want to go to a "corroboree", or just hang with the boys in the bush; I wonder if Monk ever tried any of them steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZpXPwmbQvc

This is when I want to go into the 6th dimension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE500PSe0BM

Enjoy the music.

Well Rok, since you started a conversation about someone who's worthy of a serious conversation, I'll continue. When I bought the LP "Pithecanthropus Erectus", I had no idea what the title meant or anything, other than the fact that it was a "Mingus" album.

At that time, I was working side by side with an anthropologist, we both were employed as aircraft electricians. (he took this temporary job while waiting for a dig). You can google "Pithecanthropus Erectus" if you would like to go into the detail my anthropologist co-worker took me through that afternoon. I mention this to give you an indication of just how deep a thinker Charles Mingus was.

If you want to hear Jackie McLean like you've never heard him before, this album is a must have. Mingus's creativity brings out things in other musicians they didn't even know they had. I bought every album I saw by Mingus, and I was never disappointed; each one was so unique, that they were simply different facets of the diamond we all know as "Charles Mingus".

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

The Bush symphony was interesting. I call this 'video' music. It has no connection to the people in the images. It's designed to make the common seem sublime.

Same for the other piece. When I hear this type stuff, I think, Made up. Based on nothing. Requires a little weed to make a person think they appreciate it.

I will listen to 'Pithecanthropus Erectus' today to get refreshed. Report later.

Cheers
The Frogman:
I understand your comments, but a person has to be able to know it when they hear it. Think about it.

I think this clip could meet your definition.

BTW, I love this stuff. I have the CD and the DVD. Highly recommended! Recorded at Fisk University in Nashville. Is it Jazz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRi6yhqmuxU

Cheers