New Luxman DA-06 doesnt sound so great. Will it get better?

Hi, I recently received a Luxman DA-06 dac (new, gray market Japan import) and it the sound doesnt seem to have any life.  It sounds a bit dull, uninvolving, and just low fidelity.  The best way can explain it is that it sounds like when a phono cartridge has a bad impedance mismatch with a preamp or if the signal gain is too high and it is clipping .  The unit only has less than 15 hours on it.  I wanted to know if this is normal and it would clear itself up or I have received a bad unit.  I have tried it in 2 different systems and it sounds the same. I have tried both outputs, balanced and unbalanced.  I have read this dac requires 100s of hours break in time and I hope the sound improves.  Anyone has any experience with this and could share their thoughts?  I would greatly appreciate it.  
audioman2015
Check out the threads on step down transformers as there is a plethora of info on them. One member in particular, renjy651, has a lot of experience with them regarding model types, switch outs, and the like.

All the best,
Nonoise
IMO, all this trendy mix and match DAC stuff with assorted degrees of crap accessories is quite pointless unless your pursuit is pure functionality alone.   For great sound, a one box source and simplified amplification stage with quality cables/cords into highly dynamic speakers will yield better results.  Computers and DACS and converters...why?  Sit down, put on a great disc and turn out the lights.  Relax then repeat!
Dave,
I think you are right. That is why I changed from a Spectral / dcs set to an all Nagra set: CD player, pre and power. No guess work involved. Still, Audioman, I hope you get things sorted out: contact Luxman and accept the costs if there are any. Good luck!
The US distributer " On a Higher Note" won’t touch a Grey market player with a ten foot pole. The OP is bound to the the country of origin for any service/support needs. If the player is legit Luxman, and no reason to believe it’s not. Then be patient for the player to break-in. Luxman is a great brand...sit back and enjoy.
It appears that the step-down transformer you are using probably has a two-prong plug and outlet, while the Luxman has a three-prong IEC receptacle. While in most circumstances that might be sonically advantageous, as it would break any ground loops with interconnected components, I’m wondering if in this case it might be causing or contributing to the problem.

For instance if the Luxman provides galvanic isolation of whatever digital inputs you are using, the lack of an AC safety ground connection may result in its digital and D/A converter circuitry being essentially "floating" in an uncontrolled manner relative to the ground of the signal source, perhaps resulting in noise issues and consequently in jitter issues.

I’m just speculating, of course, but it might be worthwhile investing $35 plus shipping in a converter such as this one, which provides three-prong connectivity:

http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC500J

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al