Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Fans of Dexter and Herbie should own the Complete Blue Note 60's boxed set by each artist. Happy Listening!
Excellent and informative post by Learsfool.  In response to a related question, and I certainly don't want to answer for him as concerns the relative difficulty of playing the different brass instruments:  as concerns woodwinds, it is common to proclaim one instrument as being more difficult to play than another; the oboe being a common recipient of the "most difficult to play award".  Having had experience with all the woodwinds, something that I strongly suspect also applies to brass instruments, is that they all have their own unique set of diffiuculties and it is impossible and pointless to try and deem one more difficult than the other.  It is true that at the beginning stages of the learning process some instruments are probably somewhat easier to make a decent sound on, but to achieve mastery of an instrument their own unique and equally difficult technical idiosyncrasies have to be conquered.

Re "Take Five":

Good catch by Rok re the absence of Morello’s solo on the video and interesting comments about his timing which go to the heart of the tune and to Tito Puente’s version (yes, they are all connected 😉) . Morello was undoubtedly a brilliant drummer, but the reason that he "strikes in unexpected places" in his solo on the original version of the tune is because the tune is in 5 (hence the title). Being in 5 (five beats to the measure) the accents at the beginning of a measure or phrase feel "unexpected" in comparison to a tune that is in the much more common 4/4 time. Which leads me to Tito’s version: the heart of the tune is missing. Tito’s version is done in 4/4 and consequently sounds and feels very awkward. A melody composed in 5/4 is "forced" to fit ino a Latin 4/4 rhythm.

Btw, notice how much faster the tempo is on Brubeck’s live video version vs the album version.

Interesting interview; Paul Desmond interviews Charlie Parker and speak about practice and schooling:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UvsqYo9r_dE

Pirius, two of my very favorite players, Dexter and Herbie.  But, you don't mention Herbie's "Taking Off" which features Dexter himself and the always brilliant Freddie Hubbard:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7wcYrx4d3Jg
Today's Listen:

Ron Carter & Jim Hall -- TELEPHONE

Just Guitar and Bass, but it works just fine.   Speaking of nimble!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Omlufc2rw

Thanks to The Frogman for the insight on 'take Five'.  We all know what we like and don't like, but The Frogman tells us why we do and don't.

Cheers