Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Pirius, two of my very favorite players, Dexter and Herbie.  But, you don't mention Herbie's "Taking Off" which features Dexter himself and the always brilliant Freddie Hubbard:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7wcYrx4d3Jg
Today's Listen:

Ron Carter & Jim Hall -- TELEPHONE

Just Guitar and Bass, but it works just fine.   Speaking of nimble!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Omlufc2rw

Thanks to The Frogman for the insight on 'take Five'.  We all know what we like and don't like, but The Frogman tells us why we do and don't.

Cheers
Frogman reminds me that I never answered that question about what is the hardest when I went off on my mellophone rant, LOL!  He is absolutely correct that each instrument has it's own problems.  Among the brass, though, as I think I have said before, it is usually said that the horn is the hardest - we have to cover the largest range on the smallest mouthpiece, which means we are using less surface area, and therefore taxing the muscles more.  We also are regularly called upon to produce a wide variety of tone colors in the orchestra - some consider the horn the most versatile of orchestral instruments, in fact (the cello perhaps being the most versatile solo instrument in the orchestra).  We are called upon to do many different types of things, and to regularly blend with the woodwinds just as much, in fact often more, than we do with the rest of the brass.  It definitely requires a particularly good musical ear to play the horn professionally.  The horn also has perhaps the best solo repertoire of all wind instruments, though the clarinet has some really nice solo rep as well, certainly the best among the woodwind instruments.   (And some consider the clarinet the hardest to master of all the woodwinds, too.  It used to be much more common than it is now, but there are still a few schools that offer a master's degree in woodwind specialty - some of the doublers we have talked about on Broadway have this degree - do you, Frogman?  Those who have done such a degree are usually in agreement that the clarinet was the hardest one to play a really good recital on, and that the saxophone is the easiest by some distance; in fact I don't think I have ever heard anyone disagree that the saxophone is easiest among those who have actually played them all.) 

We also talked some about the trombone and how the slide makes it, in the words of one of the best orchestral trombone players, both the easiest and the hardest instrument to play in tune.   Easy because you can fix your tuning extremely quickly with the slide, but hard because it is extremely difficult to nail it exactly, again because of the slide.  The tuba is not the easiest one to play, either - it requires moving the air quite differently from the rest of the brass.  What is usually considered the easiest brass instrument to play is the euphonium, it is sort of like the sax in that way, and I would agree with that.  Except it is much more financially lucrative to play sax, since the sax has such a big place in jazz and in musical theater.  The euphonium doesn't have a big place anywhere....
Q: How do you make a trombone sound like a French Horn?
A: Take your hand out of the bell and lose all sense of taste.

Q: What's the difference between a tenor saxophone and a lawnmower?
A: You can tune a lawnmower.

😊