why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
The Walking Dead has met it's match with this thread.
It refuses to die. No matter how you mow them down there's always more of the same not far behind. I can't decide which levels of Dante's hell are reflected here (I'm torn between the 6th and 8th) or maybe there is a 10th level especially reserved for some folk here that combines the two.

All the best,
Nonoise

mamboni41 posts03-13-2016 9:04pmIf a cable has significant resistance and reactance it will color the sound by interacting with the amplifier and loudspeaker. Using exotic cables to achieve a desired sound is not cost effective. Your money is better invested in monoblocks so that very short cable runs can be used. I use 4 foot runs of 18g solid core .999 silver Teflon coated wire. This cable has negligable resistance and reactance. I am most pleased with the sound. I run my signal straight with no equalization of any kind. Before I'd resort to cables to alter the sound i would use software to optimize the loudspeaker-room interaction. This is anathema to many purists. Yet they accept cable swapping with its numerous variables and unpredictable interactions. This is illogical.
What if I have more money than GOD so I can buy any monoblocks and EXOTIC cables.  Is this LOGICAL to you???

Criticize how others spend their money or build their system is totally illogical.  There are more than one way to skin a cat!
Mamboni,

"If a cable has significant resistance and reactance it will color the sound by interacting with the amplifier and loudspeaker. Using exotic cables to achieve a desired sound is not cost effective. Your money is better invested in monoblocks so that very short cable runs can be used. I use 4 foot runs of 18g solid core .999 silver Teflon coated wire. This cable has negligable resistance and reactance. I am most pleased with the sound. I run my signal straight with no equalization of any kind. Before I'd resort to cables to alter the sound i would use software to optimize the loudspeaker-room interaction. This is anathema to many purists. Yet they accept cable swapping with its numerous variables and unpredictable interactions. This is illogical."

To my ears and experience, why care to shorten the speaker cable path a few feet, only to send the source through a digital food processor (optimizing software), mincing and scrambling the source first?

AND monoblocks for the sake of short speaker cable runs? When in reality the isolation from crosstalk and doubling of power supplies make a far greater advantage.

Speak of illogic, you are kidding right?

I understand the repulsion to spending inordinate amounts of fortune on cabling to fine tune a kits sonic signature, yet signal wire is a must, everything has its own sonic signature, and unfortunately, much of the neutral to good sounding cabling is not cheap to produce.

Each of use must be in charge of our own sense of value and what we are willing to trade for it. 

Perhaps you would benefit from more time here and in listening to discover a truly shorter and purer path to high fidelity. Only experience can reduce variables and increase predictably.

Happy Listening!