VPI Traveler - nickel on the headshell worked wonders!

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get my VPI Traveler dialed in for a few weeks now.  It sounds ok, but I was getting quite a bit of sibilance and distortion on highly modulated passages.  I tried both a Grado Reference Sonata 1 and a Dynavector 10x5 (the Dynavector had been recommended in a couple of different reviews/articles).  I tried different phono amps, different speakers, different cables, even different racks, and there was still something that seemed off.  I figured I probably had something misaligned, being a relatively new to vinyl.  

After searching the forums I saw the recommendation of putting a nickel on the headshell.  Even though I assumed my cartridge/arm match was fairly good, I gave it a shot.  HOLY S--T!  The sound became full and rich.  The highs were controlled and extended.  Sibilance sounded natural and in control.  Clearly, I needed more mass on the tonearm.   

I wouldn't have expected this much improvement if had upgraded several components.  I was thinking that the sound I was getting was just what a $1500 turntable sounded like, and I was searching the adds for an upgrade.  Now, I think I can rest easy with the cheapest tweak I've ever tried.  Nice when things take a big step in the right direction.  I thought my experience might help others in a similar situation.

Happy listening!
Scott
smrex13
Here's my 5 cents worth.....Get in touch with VPI and have them be in on the proper resolution of your problem.  Do it right, and it won't be wrong.
The only reason you would need that nickel is if the temperature in the room is below 68 degrees.  The compliance of the cartridge goes down and the nickel will compensate for the higher resonance frequency caused by the lower temp.

Physics guys!

HW
The only way I can think of for the VTF to vary from one position (inner/outer part of platter) versus another is friction binding in the tone arm bearings.  Maybe 3rd replacement is the charm or look for a different brand.