Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Great thread! Listening to "In a Silent Way" as I read through thread while thinking of any bases not yet covered RE "Jazz for aficionados". Have been on long quest for quality recordings that offer something different and gave remarkable sound quality.  Here are a couple: 

Billy Tate Meets Dollar Brand - Chiaroscuro Records, 1977

Out of the Storm - Ed Thigpen - Verve, 1966

Hope these aren't re-threads - Thanks for all the tips here.
O-10, re Mary Lou Williams:

Not much room for a "professional critique" in those two cuts, really; especially "Mary Lou’s Blues". What I mean is that I am reminded of the movie "Ratatouille" in which the restaurant critic "critiques" a plate of ratatouille; one of the most basic of comfort foods. Twelve bar blues is as basic and comfortable as you can get and Williams plays with a great sense and feel of the blues. As with a plate of great ratatouille the way she plays the blues feels just right; and with her own unique sense of rhythm, just like grandma’s ratatouille would be just right but still identifiable as grandma’s. I like the way she "floats" around the rhythm while still having a good sense of forward motion. I wouldn’t call "ML’s Blues" a "tune" at all since it is really just the piano player riffing on a blues chord progression and there is no identifiable nor repeated melody that would qualify it to be a "tune". Both "ML’s Blues" and "Blues" are twelve bar blues in the key of G with "ML Blues" being in 3/4 time (think blues waltz) and "Blues" is in the more common 4/4 time.

Stereophile and "Moanin":

While I don’t have any great love for the mag, I don’t share you disdain for it and, personally, have found quite a bit of useful info and even good music reviews in it; especially during the JGH days. I just listened to "Moanin" from that session and I think you may be misinterpreting what the reviewer means when he says that Timmons is "playing a less than stellar piano". He’s right! But, I believe he is referring to the piano itself (instrument) not Timmons’ playing. The piano sounds like a "less than stellar" upright piano and is obviously out of tune; especially the left hand portion of the keyboard. Believe it or not it happens; session is scheduled and the piano tuner doesn’t show up or is simply not a good technician, or it’s simply not a good piano. This can also have an effect on the player’s performance; although Timmons plays just fine on it.  I would, however, agree that Morgan and especially Golson sound amazing on that cut.
Frogman, Although I've heard a lot of jazz where the piano was less than perfect (good equipment reveals that) I interpreted "playing less than a stellar piano" as a judgement call in regard to Timmons  playing and that's where "Stereophile" has often fallen short.

I don't know what's required to "hear" jazz, but they ain't got it.  While I don't know music, I know good jazz when I hear it, and Bobby Timmons hit jazz licks as good as any I've ever heard.  All things are judged through the prism of time, and the masses of those who are qualified to judge, and Stereophile has consistently struck out when it comes to jazz; they didn't even know who wrote "Moanin"; that spoke volumes for their qualifications.

Enjoy the music.

"Long tall Marcia Ball"; that's what they call her down there in the swampland, and I call her music "Gator Boogie". She doesn't play the kind of music you expect to read about on a jazz thread, but occasionally I deviate.

Marcia is influenced by the Gumbo Grooves of Dr. John, and the rhumba-boogie licks of Professor Longhair. When you add it altogether you got Louisiana "Honky Tonk". Let's check her out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H240ErU_dtM

Do you think I gave a good description of her music?

Here's "Sparkle Paradise"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBRruP-_CYE

Marcia really has a good time.

Learsfool, why don't you hip us to some cool Classical music.

Enjoy the music.

O-10, you could well be correct about what that reviewer meant, after all it's impossible to tell from a couple of words taken out of context, regardless of what I hear re the instrument.  I would be very interested in reading the entire review.  Kindly tell me where it can be read.  Who is the reviewer? Thanks.