Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, to quote Rok himself in the Brubeck thread:

****First, this is not an argument. It’s a discussion. ****

A very good discussion in that thread, btw; of the kind that, frankly, I wish we had more of here. To quote Rok again (imagine that ☺️), "words matter". Let’s try and not be so quick to blame others for misinterpreting what we write. I think it would be far more productive if we tried to be clear about with what we write so that we don’t have to keep going back to the same tired issues like that of your musician friend who supposedly didn’t practice. Again? Yikes! 😬

re Brubeck:

I love Brubeck. Of course it’s jazz and it is obviously good jazz. I love Paul Desmond even more. But it’s a different kind of jazz that is more genteel and SEEMINGLY (!!!!) more disciplined and "controlled" than the jazz represented by...let’s, for lack of a better term, refer to it as "Blue Note" jazz. This goes to some of what is at the root of some of the disagreements here about jazz and segues nicely (I think! Coffee hasn’t kicked in yet this morning....sorry) to the Marcia Ball clips:

O-10, your description of Ball and her possible influences is spot on; in answer to your question, I think you gave an excellent description of her music. The problem for me is that she, while she is clearly having fun and is a good singer, is just too....dare I say it?.... white, for that music; not enough grease in her singing (her tenor player has some grease ’though)..

Grease:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=65nDprifGek

One of my all time favorite Jazz quotes: When asked how he got that amazing sound on the alto, Paul Desmond said: "I try and sound like a dry martini".

Polyunsaturated:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ak2aOWiYUo

Frogman; I reported what I knew about, and I only knew about his practice habits for that one Summer. If I said he never practiced, I was reporting what I saw.

Brubeck: I still have this memory of him coming up that long winding road to the top of the hill where the shrine amphitheater is, in a long limousine (is there any other kind). He was a distinguished looking gentleman with white hair, as opposed to the pictures I'm accustomed to seeing on albums (much younger)

I don't recall any other musicians, just him on solo piano. Since the troupe of modern dancers, danced to the music, it certainly wasn't the jazz we're familiar with, or maybe it wasn't even jazz; Mr. Brubeck has a wide repertoire.

Paul Desmond: A disc jockey who came on at midnight, used Desmond's "Desmond Blue" for his intro tune, and I was cruisin with my girl at about that time; consequently, even today, I love "Desmond Blue", I even love the album cover; Paul Desmond has the most romantic tone of all the saxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT5zGYaUN_Q

I will in the future make every effort to prevent misinterpretation.

Enjoy the music.
Spring will be here soon. What are your fave Jazz albums/cds to kick off
the new season?  Happy Listening!
Marcia Ball:  Not everyone can sing the blues.  It helps a lot if you have lived the Blues.

Paul Desmond & Dry martini:
Mission accomplished.

The Frogman Posting Shemekia Copeland:
WTF!!!   oops   She's  from NYC.   Never Mind.
Cheers