why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
Nice piece of work Al. I agree on all points.

Happy Listening through better wire!

This is a great statement from an earlier post;

When I was able to purchase cables that are considerably more costly, the benefits were immediate. The experience isn't just heard, but felt. The musicians have arrived in my room.

We have tested over 300 different cable models, not brands but models and we found that the cable manufactures that implemented technology into their construction of the actual core cable, made a difference. This means the manufacture is not buying a roll of copper or silver but rather extruding their own core cable and starting with a raw material. At that point the manufacture will implement their own technology to each strand of cable. This also means that every strand is the same diameter. When a cable manufacture puts this much effort into designing a cable, it is audible. We found that when companies focused on improving the core cable, this helped significantly. The main problem with cable manufactures is that there are only a handful of companies that have any real technology and this can mean that the retail buyer might not find a true improvement from an expensive cable and a cheaper cable until they find a cable company with real technology. Improving the core cable takes time and this can cost more money in materials and labor because the manufacture is not buying some cheap roll of cable.

I do not believe you need to spend huge money on a cable but if you think that upgrading your cables to the level of your components is a waste of money, than you are in the wrong hobby/passion. We have also found you really need to change all your cables to get the true effect of cables. Your system is only as good as your weakest link.

Cheers,

I read an article some few years ago that it blind A/B testing of mainstream (cheap) interconnects versus very expensive interconnects, no listener could tell the difference.  My belief is that you can build anything to a basic standard and if you package it right and price it over the top, not only will people buy it, they will actually hear a (better) difference.  This is called the "audio placebo effect."   If you pay more for aomething, you will expect a better performance...and your brain will tell you it is, in fact, better.  Happens all the time.  The majority of the responders to this post are testimony to that concept.
Dynaquest4 - Your very first post here ! . Welcome . I think we will get along swimmingly !
Blind A/B testing has been shot full of holes so many times the concept could sell in the dairy section.