Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Range, Rok, range! 😔 As always, "there’s only two kinds of music.....(you know the rest).

Actually, being the daughter of Johnny Copeland (Texas) means that she’s probably more from Texas than anything else; as far as her music genes go, anyway.

Story that I think you’ll appreciate:

So, I’m riding the subway last night on my way home after a job and, as often happens here in NYC, this alto saxophone player gets on the train and starts to play. I’ve seen/heard him about half a dozen times before on my train; late middle age, not quite down and out, real character. He plays the same tune EVERYTIME; Nat Cole’s "Nature Boy". The guy can sort of play; not too bad as is often the case and as one would expect on the subway. But, he plays the same wrong note everytime and it’s been driving me crazy. If you know the tune and the lyric it’s where it goes: "There was a boy, a very strange, enchanted boy. They say he wandered very far, very far..." Well, the note on the first "far" is supposed to be a half step below the note before it on (ve)"ry". It’s almost like a melodic hook and is one of the tune’s most identifiable melodic traits. Well, this guy plays it a whole step lower which sounds clearly wrong. When he finished playing one chorus of the tune he went up and down the crowded subway car with his hat in his outstretched hand. I always give him a few bucks and bite my tongue. This time, as I hand him a five, I said "it sounds really good, but you know you’re playing a wrong note". He responds in a funky gravelly voice: "yeah man, I know, its supposed to be a half step. You know, I started to play that tune before I learned to read music and get me my books and I learned it with that wrong note. The weird thing is that when I play it with the wrong note I make more money than when I play it with the right note". Cracked me (and others on the train) up.

http://youtu.be/Iq0XJCJ1Srw
Hi Orpheus - I just saw your question about what classical music would be cool.  I have been sitting here for fifteen minutes trying to decide how to respond.  This is actually a difficult question, as I have absolutely no idea what you would think is cool.  I could give you a couple of recommendations of things I like, but if you didn't like them, then you might not respond well to further suggestion.  

It would be better if you explored for yourself at first.  The problem becomes then, where do you start?  There are lots of different ways to approach that, too.  One approach might be - what is your favorite instrument(s)?  When you listen to jazz, do you like the pianists the best?  Then maybe try some solo classical piano music, or some piano concertos.  If you like the trumpet, then maybe find a recording of some trumpet  concertos.  Do you like the vocalists?  Then pick either opera (again so many different places to start), or maybe some art songs, by say Schubert.  If you went this route, then you are at least starting with something at least somewhat familiar, the instrument being featured.  

Another way to approach it would be by picking a composer to start with, and listening to several different types of pieces by that composer.  Again, there are many different places to start here, and I have no idea which composers or what era of music you might like the best - and by the way, that's another way to start - pick an era (Medieval/Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, etc.) and listen to several different works by different composers in that era.   

I hope this is somewhat helpful.  If anything above strikes your fancy, then maybe we could get more specific with recommendations.  

Learsfool, that was my attempt at humor. I've never heard of cool classical music. I really meant any classical music you like.

Since I have jazz by Andre Previn, I tried to find some classical music by him, but this is all I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwEuR2TtW5c

Maybe you could find some classical music by him and paste it so we can hear it. Or any classical you like best.

Enjoy the music.

Have you ever wonder why some of the great albums were not published when they were recorded, but years or decades later, sometimes even when the original artists were already dead?
Intersting article on that subject, via perspective of Tina Brooks.

http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~chambers/tinabrooks.html

I want to thank you Alex for a very important story. I'll get back to you after I've had a chance to read and digest it.

Enjoy the music.