Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Have you ever wonder why some of the great albums were not published when they were recorded, but years or decades later, sometimes even when the original artists were already dead?
Intersting article on that subject, via perspective of Tina Brooks.

http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~chambers/tinabrooks.html

I want to thank you Alex for a very important story. I'll get back to you after I've had a chance to read and digest it.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, that's the first "Nature Boy" I heard, and I've been in love with the tune every since.

That guy on the subway knows it's about whatever works.

Enjoy the music.

Frogman, that guy on the subway "gravely voice" probably a wino and heavy smoker. He made me think about a guy I knew who was a St. Louis celebrity for a few minutes; he could really cook on the organ, and packed the house wherever he played, but he couldn't stay away from the wine bottle. You know the rest.

My stories are beginning to tie together; he's the same guy who learned music by watching my best friend's brother practice for gaining admission to Julliard. He could play on the piano, every thing he heard that brother had practiced.

Friends brother got a degree, and was very successful teaching music, but never played as a musician. The guy who watched him practice was a successful musician until he became a wino; life is weird ain't it.

Enjoy the music.
Maybe the piano player WANTED to teach.  Not everyone is cut out to be a performer; a LOT of pressure.  Maybe the organ player, had he gone to school, would have learned the importance of discipline; and, that may have kept him away from the bottle.  Just maybe.