Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, yes, a flat fee was often the case for players without a lot of clout.  Some players were "taken advantage of"; some let themselves be taken advantage of.

****they seem to prefer "junkys"****.

Sorry, O-10, but that has got to be one of the most cynical comments.  Junkies tend to not show up to jobs on time; studio time is very expensive.  
Junkies:

Being a musician does not make you do drugs, or give you the 'right' to be an addict.  There were thousands of men going to work everyday at jobs all over NY, and the country for that matter, who did not do drugs.

Musicians have a talent few people have, if they can not see that, and be thankful and make the most of that,  then shame on them.   Save your pity for the innocent people close to them that really suffered.

I think the OP is addicted to Kool Aid.

Cheers

Being a musician does not make you do drugs, nor does being a human being, but I would never try to take advantage of a person who's as low as he can go.

Maybe society will change it's attitude about drugs now that it's not just "jazz" musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TgqWbfga7o

After looking at that, what's your attitude now.
As is usually the case, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  Heads of jazz record labels tend to indeed be jazz lovers.  Why else would someone start a jazz record label?  Plenty of better and easier ways for entrepreneurs to make money.  I don't know if they love money more than the music, but I do know that to run a viable business of any kind one has to make money; otherwise, you don't help anyone.  
I always thought they just filled a niche that no one else was interested in filling.   After reading this wiki thing, I see I am right.  If other established labels had been willing to record Jazz, there may have never been a BN.  Of course all this was brought about due to 'social conditions' and 'race' music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Note_Records

The article says Lion was drafted in 1941 for two years.   That would mean he was discharged in the middle of the war.   WTF?

There no easier way to make money than having an entire market to yourself.

I wonder why we always think BN was run by Jazz lovers, but don't think DG was run by Classical lovers.   At least I never did.  

Of course they are all now part of faceless multinationals.

O-10:   Aficionados of the world, UNITE!!  You have nothing to lose but your LPs.

Cheers