Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** Musicians were supplied with alcoholic refreshments, and recorded in the early hours of the morning after their evening's work in clubs and bars had finished. The label soon became known for treating musicians uncommonly well - setting up recording sessions at congenial times, and allowing the artists to be involved in all aspects of the record's production.******

Seems like they got everything except money.   Esp money commensurate with their importance and  their contributions to the business.  I guess the alcohol was considered adequate reimbursement.

Reminds me of Chess records in Chicago.  The Blues label. Also owned by some refugee from Europe.  He paid his artist in Cadillac automobiles.  WTF!!!   Haven't these people heard of Money, and Royalties?

***** Kindly explain to me how this goes counter to my contention that the founder Lion was a jazz lover. *****

Never said he was not a Jazz lover, and the article never said he was.  It said he was exposed to it in Berlin.  My contention is that they saw an opportunity, an opening,  a market that was under served,  and they took advantage of the situation.  Nothing personal, just business.

Cheers
Alex, don't change your romantic perspective on the Blue Note label.  It was founded as a true labor of love and, as you know, produced some of the greatest music ever.  I am always mystified by what it is about human nature that causes some to be so cynical and see only the negative in certain things, even the music they claim to love.  

Great reading about Alfred Lion that clearly shows he was a jazz lover and treated his musicians well:

http://www.immigrantentrepreneurship.org/entry.php?rec=112

Rok on Rok, tell it like is, "Mama's little baby like diamonds, Mama's little baby like gold", yall can keep that shortnin bread (whatever that is)

Damn near all the Blue Note jazz musicians were junkys, was that a coincident. What did Blue Note do to help them. Those musicians have to show up for a lot of club dates. Blue Note didn't care about them not showing up for jobs, but they only have to show up at the recording studio every now and then.

Albums made in 65, are still selling today, and if Blue Note paid a flat price, nobody but Blue Note is making money off those albums. An addict would sell his mother to get a fix. No matter how immoral and rotten that sounds, that's the way it was, and Blue Note knew it. Now we have a heroin epidemic, and those pretty little girls in the suburbs, who should be in college, might be out hustling to get a fix. What do you think about that? I bet you can't give an answer, and if you do, it will be much different than whatever answer you gave in regard to Tina Brooks being an addict.

With all those boss albums Grant Green had out, why did he have to leave his hospital bed to make a gig? The doctor told him it would kill him, and it did. I don't even know if he still had a habit at that time, I doubt it.

When I saw an addict with the incredible talent of a jazz musician, it tore my heart out, and I did what I could to help them, Blue Note saw money on the hoof, (I mean foot) when they saw what I saw.

There is absolutely no doubt that Blue Note had the most talented jazz musicians. That kind of talent is very rare; it's only when you see them live, no rehearsal, no written music, and they perform like you would not believe. Maybe nobody believes what I wrote and said I saw, but that's OK; let's call him "Harvey". To get a little more specific, let's call him Blue Note Harvey.

Since I have seen an addict who I couldn't help, these people are not statistics, they are people who need help, and it's too late to get sanctimonious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-uYsuSKe4g

If you want to know where it comes from, check heroin and Afghanistan.

Thanks to toudou: Frank Hewitt. I find him to be a VERY interesting and unusual piano player. Reminds me of Monk in that he has obvious limitations as far as technical facility goes and yet it doesn’t get in the way of setting wonderful grooves and keeping the listener interested with inventiveness in his solos.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Izc-0byJq1E

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL3eRQBe9sX1uhctHJrMWum8j2S-NQUMop&params=OAFIAVgS&v=kL4Asf...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL3eRQBe9sX1uhctHJrMWum8j2S-NQUMop&params=OAFIAVgE&v=jYNdx9...

Orpheus, in the classical world, Andre Previn is mainly known as a conductor, though he did write a few pieces.  He also wrote a few film scores.  I don't think I have ever even heard any of his classical compositions, let alone played them.  Certainly they are not performed very often, especially if he is not conducting them.   His recordings I have heard where he is a conductor did not particularly impress me.  Not saying they are not good, just that there are much better conductors.