Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** Rok,  I've never been in a baptist church and not seen pictures of Jesus Christ.*****

Pants on fire!!

Alex, "For Green as for Brooks, the suppression of income and reputation brought on spiraling misfortunes and reduced him to beggary." This is according to Jack Chambers's WHO KILLED TINA BROOKS?

Many of Grant's recordings were not released during his lifetime. These include McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones (also part of the Solid group) performing on Matador (also recorded in 1964), and several albums with pianist Sonny Clark. In 1966 Grant left Blue Note and recorded for several other labels, including Verve. From 1967 to 1969 Grant was, for the most part, inactive due to personal problems and the effects of heroin addiction. In 1969 Grant returned with a new funk-influenced band. His recordings from this period include the commercially successful Green is Beautiful and the soundtrack to the film The Final Comedown.

Grant spent much of 1978 in hospital and, against the advice of doctors, went back on the road to earn some money. While in New York to play an engagement at George Benson's Breezin' Lounge, Grant collapsed in his car of a heart attack in New York City on January 31, 1979. He was buried in Greenwood Cemetery in his hometown of St. Louis, Missouri, and was survived by six children. Since Green's demise, his reputation has grown and many compilations of both his earlier (post-bop/straight ahead and soul jazz) and later (funkier/dancefloor jazz) periods, exist.

Enjoy the music.

O-10, I thought you were moving on; I guess not.  I appreciate your passion about this topic and I appreciate passion about any relevant  topic even when its misguided.  I was not "evading" anything, but simply trying to stay on the subject of music.  Moreover, as I have pointed out several times before there is no need for you to be so antagonistic; it certainly will not promote good dialogue. 

I watched your clip on the heroin epidemic and I must say I agree with every word that Rok wrote in his comments about it.  For me, it all boils down to two words: personal responsibility or the lack thereof.  There are always two general points of views or attitudes about this sort of thing: 1. The attitude that holds on to the idea that all of society's ills (including those of the music business) are something that are being perpetrated on its citizens and that promotes the mindset that the citizen is owed a solution to every problem, and 2. The attitude that seeks to uplift and increase awareness through personal responsibility as much as possible and promotes the mindset of looking inward to find the answer to one's problems.  

For crying out loud, if the first time the mother in that video noticed that her daughter had a problem was when she actually saw her shooting heroin, she wasn't paying nearly enough attention to her daughter.  The reason that there is a heroin "epidemic" today is not that it is cheap and kept cheap by diabolical pushers or business interests, it is because more and more people are desperate to find a way to fill the void in themselves caused by the absence of family unity and spirituality ( and real music?) in their lives; the absence of a sense of purpose caused by a society that promotes the thinking that we are entitled to more and more of what previously was our individual responsibility to attain.

Going back to music: acknowledging the very real issues around race that many of our music heroes had to sadly endure, the truth is that many of them, as is the case today, were their own worst enemies and led lifestyles that were not conducive to stable lives.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFxEwyPknc

Probably the greatest singer to ever live; imo, of course:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzRS2HKmL1s