Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

***** Rok, what albums do you have with Tina Brooks as a side man?  *****

As leader:

As a sideman:

Cheers

Frogman, it was over yesterday, but you brought it back up again today, if, woulda, coulda, shoulda, but it's too late for that, now they are drug addicts.
My question is "Do we lock them up, and throw away the key", or what?

Acman, There's a lot of truth in what you said about this generational thing in regard to hearing new music, but now I've discovered there's a Joker in the deck; let me explain.

I had been wandering why I didn't have some of Grant Green's records, and it's because they were not released at the time they were recorded. Now I've got to find Tina Brooks recordings, this keeps me looking backward as opposed to forward.

Enjoy the music.
Tina Brooks is stated as sideman on three Kenny Burrell's albums, among those, I would certainly recommend this one...
I am sure that Orpheus will love the parts where Timmons is playing

https://youtu.be/1RJAvhfo4Ws

Frogman, speaking of drug abuse, the answer is never simple, but I am sure that when there is 'epidemic' spread, than it must be conected to the establishment.
I am not refering to the sources from popular culture, as now often we can see a main stream movie that speaks about conections between 'state' and crime in some period when 'black' funding was od special interest to some services because of some 'higher' goal.
My experience is rather from first hand, 25 years ago, when my country was in armed conflict (war, bloody, but on limited scale) with its neighbours.
In those times, heroin abuse spread like flew. No way in hell that it could be 'accident' or caused by rather gloomy prospects of future of some folks.
Even more, my home town, which was never part of actual conflict, had a highest rate of users in a country.
I think that first rule of bussines is that you must create a demand, and than you can sell the product.
It took couple of years until the rave or techno ( the only good thing about it) music has become a major trend, than heroin became a drug that was considered 'out of fashion' and was replaced with other synthethic drugs, like ectasy, but not before it killed (one way or another) quite a lot young people.
So, like Rok said, the only way is to prevention, but when somebody flows the streets with cheap and powerfull stuff, there are lots of people that will hook on it. What puzzles me, (reading about it, in US) is that story about heroin and its effects is known and notorius, and  yet, still there are people who will risk their lifes by tasting it.
Its not my intention to comment political events in your country, but US is certainly a country with lots of illogical things, from a European perspective.
Maybe the best way to look the cause of such things is to understand who profits from it, on larger scale of things
Anyway, back to jazz. Maybe we should start to post albums that were not issued on time on their recording, but later, for reasons that we will never know for sure.
 Here is album of Bobby Hutcherson,'The Kicker' with same  personal that recorded Grant Green's Idle moments. This album was released many years later.

https://youtu.be/kv8I3QzIqQc