Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Well fellas you are right.  One of my dealers recently died and had the greatest system I ever heard but in this world with the streaming and Bluetooth stuff it's not the thing for some folks. His system was crazy expensive.  They don't listen the way we listen. He had a audio bucket list. Most people think we are nutty. 

Yo Rok, are you out there? I found 8 classic Albums Donald Byrd $6.52 used, must be something wrong with it, 8 cd's $16.00 new.

Places and spaces, $9.00 new, $5 used; The Definitive Classic Blue note Collection, $17 new $10 used; Black Byrd $8 new, $5 used.

You can check em out, and tell me what you think.
When I checked out the Byrd stuff on Amazon, all sorts of wonderful stuff came up.  Box sets by Morgan, Brown and Silver.  All dirt cheap. But I have most of the single CDs.

Byrd:

'8 Classic CDs' does not contain 'A New Perspective' or 'Black Byrd'.   And after reading all the reviews I sensed that the sound quality was just ok.  At my stage of the game, no music trumps bad sound.
The '8 classic' sets also have no notes or booklets.   I hate that.   '100 best jazz Tunes of the 1950's' remains the best value ever.   Excellent sound, great tune selection, and notes / photos / booklet.

'The Complete Blue Note' seems to have better reviews as far as sound quality.  After all, it is Blue Note.   It does contain 'A New Perspective'.   I think I might try it instead of the two single CDs.

Cheers

It seems as if the '8 classic', 'Complete Blue Note' and these sort of box sets will be the final resting place for the players of the 'Golden Age' of Jazz.

Its the same with Classical Music.   The best players, and the best performances ever played are dirt cheap, while the new noise, errrr I mean new music, costs $20 per CD.  Go figure.  Oh, to be just starting out on this journey.

Cheers

On page 112, near the bottom of the page there's a run down on Byrd that can help you decide. I selected "spaces and places" plus black byrd, and I'll have to give the rest of them a listen on "you tube".

The 100 best has sound quality better than my original LP's. No music is better than music with lousy sound quality. That Blue Note edition is a good buy.

Moving in this organized fashion, we wont leave anything behind that we should have bought.

Enjoy the music.